FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shoulder Mount vs Eyecup

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marco Falcone
Shoulder Mount vs Eyecup
on Jan 9, 2012 at 11:03:01 pm

Hey guys,

I was just wondering, what accessory should I buy for my Canon 60d? A shoulder mount or an eyecup?

I saw at Vistek (In Canada, it's like bh) that they have a Hoodman eyecup for $250, but they also have a metal shoulder mount for $180. Which do you think is better to buy? (Let's exclude the price for a second). Would I be better off with a should mount or an eyecup to see through?

Thanks!

“I don't believe in total freedom for the artist. Left on his own, free to do anything he likes, the artist ends up doing nothing at all. If there's one thing that's dangerous for an artist, it's precisely this question of total freedom, waiting for inspiration and the rest of it.” -FEDERICO FELLINI

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Shoulder Mount vs Eyecup
on Jan 10, 2012 at 12:34:03 am

I am not sure I am understanding since those are two different things.

Just because you have a shoulder mount doesn't mean you will be able to see the LCD screen while filming outdoors on a sunny day or magnify the LCD screen for easier focus checking which are two things that the Hoodman should do for you (might not magnify - you have to check)

I have the Zacutto Z-Finder which I consider an essential bit of gear so I would buy that first if that answers your question.

Return to posts index

Jack Rusak
on Jan 10, 2012 at 3:59:40 am

I vote for the lcd loupe. I bought the brace but find it of almost no use but it darn near impossible to shoot without the lcd loupe.

Return to posts index

Phil Balsdon
on Jan 10, 2012 at 10:23:38 am

You'll still need the "eyecup" to shade and magnify the lcd viewfinder when using a shoulder mount.

If it's budget that bothers you buy the eyecup first then the shoulder mount.

For what its worth I personally have never seen the need for a shoulder mount, these cameras are so light they're easy to just handhold without any support. If I'm doing handheld VOX pops or interviews and want extra stability I prefer a monopod with a very lightweight pan and tilt head fitted.

Cinematographer, Steadicam Operator, Final Cut Pro Post Production.
http://philming.com.au
http://www.steadi-onfilms.com.au/

Return to posts index

Jorden Mosley
on Jan 10, 2012 at 10:37:47 pm

If your thinking about a shoulder mount for your DSLR, you may wanna consider a very inexpensive hands free shoulder mount:

You can get these off amazon for 20-30.00. I own one myself for my GH2 and it stabilizes the camera greatly. I'd say get your Eyecup and this in your purchase.

Return to posts index

Jack Rusak
on Jan 11, 2012 at 1:53:12 am

That's look like the one I bought, I think it was called the Cowboy Studio or something

Return to posts index

Jorden Mosley
on Jan 11, 2012 at 3:35:12 am

That's the one. Cowboy Studio, Ephoto, Adarama, etc all sell it. The on difference between the brands is that some have quick release plates and others don't.

Return to posts index

Casey Petersen
on Jan 11, 2012 at 3:10:46 pm

I'm also thinking of getting an LCD Viewfinder loupe, but am wondering if anyone has any experience with any of the cheaper ones than the Zacuto...such as the Carry Speed or Neewer ones they have on Amazon? The Zacuto is $375, Neewer is $52 and Carry Speed is $33. As someone on a very tight budget, are these cheaper ones at least decent? I also have the 60D.

Thanks!
Casey

Return to posts index

Jack Rusak
on Jan 11, 2012 at 5:15:12 pm

I started with the Hoodman, it was cheaper and was ok for what it was.. do you wear glasses? My problem is I wear progressive lenes so I struggle with most of them.

Return to posts index

Casey Petersen
on Jan 11, 2012 at 6:07:36 pm

No glasses...I have perfect vision.

Return to posts index

Jack Rusak
on Jan 12, 2012 at 3:13:31 am

you're lucky, that should simplify your shopping. I'm on my second LCD loupe and still haven't found one that has enough correction for my eyes.my current loupe is the Letus Hawk.
Beautifully made, and I love the way I can just pop it on and off,but there just isn't enough adjustment for my eyes

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Jan 12, 2012 at 12:49:27 am

Hi Casey -

I own the CarrySpeed. It's not at all bad, although I would have liked one with a diopter adjustment, but wanted to try one out before I laid out the bigger cash.

There's a bit of color aberration around the edges of the eyecup, but I don't find that it affects my judgement of the colors or focus. Read the slew of reviews on Ama*on. There's lots of good info there. I'm not using it heavily yet, but I wanted to dip my toes in the water before diving in.

I have also found that, since installing Magic Lantern on my T2i, that the need for the enlargement of the LCD is not that great. There are some features in ML which allow me to really zoom in on my focus points. Something else to consider. But all in all, under 40 bucks is a price for which you can't go wrong.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]