FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon 70-200 lens

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gerret Warner
Canon 70-200 lens
on Dec 31, 2011 at 7:17:50 pm

I don't yet own a DSLR and am considering a Canon 60D. I already own a Canon EF 2.8, 70-200mm L IS USM telephoto lens. Has any used this lens or length of telephoto for video? Is it feasible or is it likely to be too hard to maintain focus and exposure?

Return to posts index

Errol Lazare
Re: Canon 70-200 lens
on Dec 31, 2011 at 8:28:33 pm

Hello Gerret,
Is it an IS version with image stabilization and is it a 2.8?
I use the canon 70-200 IS 2.8 with my 5d and it is a beautiful lens! I find the bokeh/out of focused area in the shallow depth of field is one of the best and the most artistic looking. The focusing is also very smooth. The only consideration is that it will be much more telephoto on your 60D with the crop factor. You cannot go wrong with this lens!

Errol X. Lazare
EXL Films
http://www.exlfilms.com

Return to posts index

Gerret Warner
on Jan 1, 2012 at 2:09:54 am

[Errol Lazare] "Hello Gerret,
Is it an IS version with image stabilization and is it a 2.8?
I use the canon 70-200 IS 2.8 with my 5d and it is a beautiful lens! I find the bokeh/out of focused area in the shallow depth of field is one of the best and the most artistic looking. The focusing is also very smooth. The only consideration is that it will be much more telephoto on your 60D with the crop factor. You cannot go wrong with this lens!"

Thanks for the feedback, Errol. Yes it is IS and 2.8, and I've loved using it for stills. Yes, the 5D gets all the press for beauty, but the price seems a bit steep. I don't plan to shoot exclusively with the 60D. We have a HVX-200, which has produced beautiful video.

Thanks again,

gerret

Return to posts index

Gerret Warner
on Jan 1, 2012 at 2:22:01 am

I'm also looking at buying the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Zoom Lens. Any experience with it for video?

Return to posts index

Rollo Burdick
on Jan 8, 2012 at 9:24:19 am

I've got the Canon EF-s 17-55 f2.8 IS on my 60D - it has great picture quality and the IS really works well. I don't like its build quality compared to proper L series lenses like the 16-35 f2.8 L though.

I've also got the Canon 70-200 f4. A little bit too telephoto on the 60D for when you are messing around with medium-close-up-shallow-depth-of-field experimentation, but not impossible. Great for long shots though.

Another lens in my arsenal is the Sigma 30mm f1.4 - very nice.

My 60D is a wonderful camera, as I said before but:

This summer I did a two week shoot in which I was supplied with a 5D and L Series Lens kit by my producer. What a revelation! The picture quality, the shallow depth of field - the BIG hike up the ladder in terms of general, all round loveliness has to be seen to be believed. So is the build quality. The 5D is definitely worth the extra cash.

I am going to keep my 60D because it is a fantastic bit of kit and it has the flippy-out screen. Though the only thing which is stopping me from going out and spending the last of my food money on a 5D is there may be a new 5D model coming out in the next few months (loads of rumours). That may have full-frame gloriousbeautifulwonderfulness and a flippy-out screen (as well as other improvements hopefully: rolling shutter and moire/aliasing too)

Return to posts index

Gerret Warner
on Jan 8, 2012 at 5:01:57 pm

[Rollo Burdick] "I've got the Canon EF-s 17-55 f2.8 IS on my 60D - it has great picture quality and the IS really works well. I don't like its build quality compared to proper L series lenses like the 16-35 f2.8 L though.

I've also got the Canon 70-200 f4. A little bit too telephoto on the 60D for when you are messing around with medium-close-up-shallow-depth-of-field experimentation, but not impossible. Great for long shots though.
"

Thanks. Another friend recommend the Tamron 17-50/2.8.

Looking forward to a new 5D; in the meantime I'll be exploring my new 60D

Return to posts index

Danny Grizzle
on Jan 8, 2012 at 5:12:07 pm

I've got the 70-200 f/2.8 IS, original not the newer series II. I use it primarily on a 5D Mk II, but I also have a 60D and I've been meaning to test it with 1:1 pixel mode for maximum telephoto.

One thing: Image stabilization is great, but far from silent. Do not expect to get usable audio from any camera mounted mic while the IS is engaged.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]