FORUMS: list search recent posts

Zacuto Z-Finder: sun mask rotates with eyecup

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
Zacuto Z-Finder: sun mask rotates with eyecup
on Dec 22, 2011 at 9:14:27 pm

I'd appreciate advice from someone who's been using a Z-Finder for awhile. Generally, do you have any cautionary tales? I'm using the Gorilla Baseplate with the Pro 3X on a Canon 60D. I have experienced a bit of eyestrain, and I worry a bit about the Z-Finder falling off the camera in the course of normal jostling.

Mine arrived with a 16x9 mask and anti-fog cover installed. When I was trying to adjust its position, the eyecup fell off, and with it, the anti-fog cover and the 16x9 sun mask.

Now that I have put it all back together, the anti-fog cover and the mask are held in position by the eyecup. When I rotate the eyecup slightly, now the mask rotates as well, which is a problem. So I've removed the mask.

I understand the problem with sun hitting the LCD screen through the eyepiece, and I have seen Zacuto's rationale that the mask reduces this problem (especially with their EVF). But given the hassle of the mask rotating every time, is the 16x9 mask worth keeping? Is there a non-destructive way to lock the mask, to keep it from rotating, or do I just have to put the eyecup into one position and keep it there?

Any advice, general or specific, is welcome. I can understand why this, or some other monitor or EVF, is so highly valued. But, as I said up top, I do have a concern about eyestrain. I may actually adjust the brightness of the monitor down when I use the Z-Finder.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Frank Pretorius
Re: Zacuto Z-Finder: sun mask rotates with eyecup
on Nov 27, 2012 at 11:36:22 am

I have exactly the same problem! It is nearly impossible to get the 16x9 mask aligned with the camera, as it does not rotate separately...

Return to posts index

Frank Pretorius
Re: Zacuto Z-Finder: sun mask rotates with eyecup
on Nov 27, 2012 at 11:55:57 am

Ok got it right! Removed the rubber eye piece and delicately reassembled the whole thing... now aligned

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]