FORUMS: list search recent posts

Planning to buy a Camera

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Caleb Trevatt
Planning to buy a Camera
on Dec 18, 2011 at 12:16:49 pm

Hi guys,

I'm planning on buying a camera for shooting HD video and stills.
I've sort of settled on the idea of a DSLR suiting my needs; in particular the Canon EOS 600D.

I'm willing to go to $1000 at the most, but would prefer to spend around $800.

I'm not really for the gimmicky in-camera editing effects and the incredible burst speeds, but would like as much configurability as possible in terms of frame-rate, focus and exposure. I would also quite like to get a 5.1 multichannel microphone up and running on it, but I understand few if not no cameras support more than two channels.

Thanks in advance.

-- Caleb

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Planning to buy a Camera
on Dec 19, 2011 at 5:49:54 pm

Canon T3i or 60d. Also Panasonic GH2 is worth a look- very hackable and cheaper lenses.

Noah

Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Marco Falcone
on Dec 20, 2011 at 11:56:36 am

If you want to get into cinematography, then go with the T3i, 600d, or the 60d (More expensive).

If you just want to take HD video just as a hobby, then a Panasonic GH2 is probably good for you, but it costs a bit more.

If you want to get into photography, go with the Nikon D7000, which has better auto-focus points and less noise at high ISO's, making it superior to Canon's picture quality, but a little less when it comes to video.

Good luck!

“I don't believe in total freedom for the artist. Left on his own, free to do anything he likes, the artist ends up doing nothing at all. If there's one thing that's dangerous for an artist, it's precisely this question of total freedom, waiting for inspiration and the rest of it.” -FEDERICO FELLINI

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Dec 21, 2011 at 6:27:48 pm

[Marco Falcone] "
If you just want to take HD video just as a hobby, then a Panasonic GH2 is probably good for you, but it costs a bit more."

OK, I'll take the bait. Why do you consider the GH2 a hobbyist's toy?

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Marco Falcone
on Dec 22, 2011 at 8:31:52 pm

Canon is used more in the industry, by indy filmmakers and it has more lens/customization available. The GH2 is poorly marketed, much smaller, and doesn't have as great lens available (Canon L Series for example). It's just my opinion, though.

“I don't believe in total freedom for the artist. Left on his own, free to do anything he likes, the artist ends up doing nothing at all. If there's one thing that's dangerous for an artist, it's precisely this question of total freedom, waiting for inspiration and the rest of it.” -FEDERICO FELLINI

Return to posts index

Caleb Trevatt
on Dec 23, 2011 at 2:12:06 am

Thanks guys, I'll probably go with the 60D.

Any nice cheap lenses for film-making you'd recommend?
I quite like the look of the EF 50mm 1.4f,
but don't know if I should get the stock 18-55mm lens as well.
Is that being redundant?

-- Caleb

Return to posts index

Marco Falcone
on Dec 23, 2011 at 3:31:15 am

No problem, everyone's happy to help! If you want shallow depth of field, then the 50mm 1.4 is the best bang for your buck. It has some great reviews. The only problem is that if you want to take pictures with zoom, you can't. Now this wouldn't be a problem, except if you are a beginner and haven't found out what you wanted to shoot yet. It's funny, I'm in the same situation as you. I'm also planning on buying the 60d. I'll most likely go with the 15-85mm lens, because they are really good all purpose lens, and perhaps in the future I'll know what I want to shoot. Here is a review on the 18-55mm from a site that does great reviews on lens,

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-S-18-55mm-f-3.5-5.6-IS-...

In conclusion, if you want shallow depth of field, 50mm 1.2/1.4/1.8 is the way to go on your budget.

Return to posts index

Drew Horen
on Apr 24, 2012 at 3:56:14 pm

Hey Caleb, what camera did you end up going with? I'm looking for something in the same price range, also leaning towards the 600D, and was curious if you have some advice.

Thanks,
Drew

Return to posts index

Caleb Trevatt
on Apr 29, 2012 at 9:22:47 am

Hey Drew,
Sorry for the late reply.

I ended up buying the 60D and am very happy with it.
My friend owns a 600D and they're both pretty similar,

It depends on what you want to do with it.
But the 60D feels a little more robust, has a bigger display, bigger body, more knobs and levers and a longer battery life.

This is a comparison of the two:

The 60D's generally better, so if you have the money, I'd recommend buying it.
But if you're just shooting video and are on a low budget, I'd get the 600D and use the extra money to get a better lens.

Just my 5 cents, I'm sure others would have better advice.

Good Luck :D

-- Caleb

Return to posts index

Drew Horen
on Apr 30, 2012 at 10:52:35 pm

Hey Caleb,

I'm gonna scrape together the extra $, and go with the 60D. Thanks a lot for your help.

Regards,
Drew

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]