FORUMS: list search recent posts

Just switched to macbook pro. What do I need?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Barnes
Just switched to macbook pro. What do I need?
on Dec 16, 2011 at 12:40:06 am

Hey guys, I just switched to a macbook pro for editing on the go. I shoot motocross cinematography and 99% of my clips are 3-4 minutes with interviews and music thrown in. My question is what do I need to make this thing work the way I want too? I have been told FCP 7 is the way to go, but were is the most cost effective place to pick that up? Any other software that a "mac newbie" should be made aware of? My specs are the macbook pro 13", with i7, 2.8ghz and 750gb. 4gb of ram. and I currently shoot with a T2i, mostly 720x60fps. Thanks in advance! Heres a link to my latest video, to give you an idea. (the lighting is terrible so I had to shoot wide open with the 50mm and 800 ISO, hence the focus)

Return to posts index

Colin McQuillan
Re: Just switched to macbook pro. What do I need?
on Dec 16, 2011 at 4:17:09 pm

If you are jumping in cold and not jaded by the EOL of Final Cut Studio - I'd suggest moving forward with FCPX over FCP7. Bang for buck it is a fantastic deal. You can find FCP7 (part of Final Cut Studio) on eBay if you like - but it will cost much more than the new version and is a dead product (as in no longer being supported/updated by Apple).

Colin McQuillan
Vancouver, B.C.

"Live, love, laugh and be happy."

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Dec 16, 2011 at 5:13:07 pm

[Colin McQuillan] "I'd suggest moving forward with FCPX over FCP7."

Absolutely. FCPX will scream on your new MacBook Pro. Take some of the money you will save, buy some training for FCPX, upgrade your machine to 8GB of RAM and you'll be off to the races!

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Chris Barnes
on Dec 17, 2011 at 1:27:00 am

what kind of workflow am I looking at with either fcp7 or fcpX? Right now on a pc I use avid dnx and mpegstreamclip to transcode my T2i footage for vegas.

Return to posts index

Colin McQuillan
on Dec 18, 2011 at 9:31:36 pm

FCP 7 you would use the log and transfer function that would convert your footage to the ProRes flavour of your choice while importing. During this conversion process you need to walk away from the computer until it is done - otherwise clips can get truncated as they are importing. One nice thing about using the L&T interface is it adds to the clips time-of-day timecode from when the clips were shot (so long as the entire card structure is intact). Unsure if MPEG Streamclip does this or just zeroes each clip.

FCPX will create 'optimized' Prores versions in the background once you import the camera original H.264 mov files.

Colin McQuillan
Vancouver, B.C.

"Live, love, laugh and be happy."

Return to posts index

Chris Barnes
on Dec 18, 2011 at 11:14:54 pm

Trying to download the EOS plug-in to use log and transfer in FCP7 and if I choose "mac os x" as my operating system, the files don't don't show up in my finder, like they should. And there is no option for "os x 10.7" which I'm using. I did notice that if I selected "os x 10.6" it says there is no plug-in available. Can anybody help me figure out how to make this work with my T2i? Thanks

Return to posts index

Owen Wexler
on Jan 8, 2012 at 7:42:10 pm

If you're editing a lot of DSLR footage, Adobe Premiere Pro would be your best choice as it can edit DSLR footage natively without transcoding (even FCPX transcodes in the background).

Cinematographer - Editor - Motion Graphics Artist - Colorist

http://www.owenbwexler.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]