FORUMS: list search recent posts

Again another green screen question

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jay Levi
Again another green screen question
on Dec 15, 2011 at 7:38:33 pm

I know i asked a few of these questions, iam still testing here, but iam asking again on these threads to know from slr users if they see the new Panasonic AG HMC-160 as a decent video complimentary camera for green screen along side a 7 and 5dmkii.

Im asking because i personally was never impressed by the colors Panasonic prosumer level cameras put out., also the fact that green screen seems to and can be a pain with slrs.

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
Re: Again another green screen question
on Dec 16, 2011 at 9:30:00 pm

I still have my reservations about AVCHD, but I've used the HMC-150 and I liked it. Mixing footage from the 150 and a Canon 7D and T2i can be challenging with different color spaces, but I convert it all to ProRes422 anyway so it all balances pretty well. Consider renting instead of buying if you're not sure. If it won't work for you, there's no point in getting one and you're only out a few bucks and a weekend.

Jonathan Ziegler
http://www.electrictiger.com/
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Jay Levi
on Dec 17, 2011 at 12:23:46 pm

yes this test here

was interesting

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Dec 17, 2011 at 1:32:25 pm

When keying the three big questions are:

1) How well is the screen lit?

2) What does the camera (the compression) do to the colours? I don't know the specs of the Panasonic. Is it really AVCHD? Then there should be not too much difference between the Panasonic and the Canon. since both use 4:2:0

3) How much time and effort are you willing to spend in post. You could pull decent keys even with suboptimal footage (had to key out quite a lot DV footage, which was a pain but worked in the end)

What helps a great deal is: clean up the colour channels. Maybe in AE with a Median blur on an adjustment layer set to colour blending mode.

------------------------------------------
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot." - Buster Keaton

Return to posts index

Jay Levi
on Dec 19, 2011 at 10:55:22 am

i see a bit of difference win that video between the 7d when they started playing with iso :)

starting from the basic clean greenscreen principle with out all the broadcast bells and whistles what camera would you say has exceptional quality, clean, at lowest price base?

im almost convinced the ex3 is the best but i can not compare.

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Dec 19, 2011 at 11:19:19 am

[Jay Levi] "what camera would you say has exceptional quality, clean, at lowest price base?

im almost convinced the ex3 is the best but i can not compare."

AFAIK the EX3 has good reputation for greenscreen-work, but I can be wrong... I'm not really the "camera guy"...

What you could consider is something like the Intensity cards from Blackmagic Design. They let you capture 10bit 4:2:2 video via the HDMI-port bypassing the camera's compression.

So for any camcorder (except the canons for the known HDMI reasons) with HDMI port and especially for greenscreen work this could be an affordable improvement. I was thinking to get one for my Sony V1 HDV camcorder...

Just my two cents

Return to posts index

Jay Levi
on Dec 20, 2011 at 8:20:47 am

looks like the Intensity Extreme for thunderbolt, the shuttle, ninja or "hyper shuttle deck" would do that job., first time i heard of hyper deck shuttle whatever its called.

http://www.sharbor.com/products-xtra/2244.html

I read allot of your posts and gathered you did allot of Green Screen using slrs, sounds like you dont advise using the hdmi out with canons, i still have my heart set on a 5dmkii but im holding out for a mkiii, just one more month.

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Dec 20, 2011 at 9:08:45 am

[Jay Levi] "I read allot of your posts and gathered you did allot of Green Screen using slrs, sounds like you dont advise using the hdmi out with canons"

For sure I'm not as experieneced as many others here on the COW, but yes had to do quite a couple of keying jobs in the last years.

Problem is: The Canon DSLRs don't provide HD output via HDMI. It's always SD. At least while recording. The 7D is an exception but as any other Canon DSLR it will always send the screen overlays, so doesn't provide a clean-feed.
Not sure though, if you can grab the HD-Signal when *not* recording. Maybe someone can chime in here...

I have no first-hand experience with the Intensity cards or recorders (yet) but it seems to be an affordable solution to get the highest quality footage out of any camorder with HDMI-out. Could be a solution for guys like me who don't want to give up on their "dusty but trusty" HDV or AVCHD camcorders...

From what I know, the GH2 will let you grab FullHD even while recording, so this might be working...

Return to posts index

Jay Levi
on Dec 20, 2011 at 12:30:35 pm

unless i missread this on many threads, with magic lantern you can manage to go out via hdmi to those devices with out over lays, from what i understood you can not do this while the camera is in record mode., certain limitations also are applied to the camera in video mode as well, cant remember but i think its like DOF can be adjusted with magic lantern etc.

i really dont like the Panasonic GH1 GH2 colors, sort of washed out a bit, canon really has that warm look., i was a bit impressed by the gh2 demos on youtube when compared to a 7D, but the 7D is a real pro level body and feel.

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Dec 20, 2011 at 12:47:08 pm

[Jay Levi] "unless i missread this on many threads, with magic lantern you can manage to go out via hdmi to those devices with out over lays"

This may be the case... Haven't tried that...

[Jay Levi] "cant remember but i think its like DOF can be adjusted with magic lantern etc."

Yes, Magic Lantern is a huge improvement for the Canons, but DOF has nothing to do with ML per se... You'll get rack focussing, a kind of follow focus with the camera buttons, peaking and stuff like that to have better control plus a bunch of very useful other features (like it unlocks 160 ISOs on my T2i, gives you control over the video bitrate etc. etc. etc.).
Fantastic "hack"!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]