FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony NEX5 footage in Premiere: 50i vs 25p

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Malecha
Sony NEX5 footage in Premiere: 50i vs 25p
on Dec 14, 2011 at 1:00:03 pm

Hi guys,

I hope this is the right forum for the question: I have footage from a Sony NEX-5, shot in 50i AVCHD.

I want to use it in a Adobe Premiere CS5.5 project with a framerate of 60 (as I mainly use Canon DSLR and Gopro footage).

The NEX-5 footage is automatically imported interlaced at 25 FPS. I I reduce the speed too 50% it is very choppy, doesn't look like 50FPS at all.

So is this 50i mode just bogus? Or am I doing something wrong? Do I have to transcode? Thought Premiere would do that for me automatically...

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Sony NEX5 footage in Premiere: 50i vs 25p
on Dec 15, 2011 at 12:18:03 am

50i doesn't mean 50fps. It means 50 interlaced FIELDS...and since there are two field per second, that's 25fps. Just like 60i is 60 interlaced fields at 30fps. Confusing? Yup. I hate labeling things that way.

So, your footage is 25fps. But, you want to use it in a project with a frame rate of 60? That's a standards conversion. PAL to NTSC. That's a difficult thing to do and make it look right.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Tom Malecha
Re: Sony NEX5 footage in Premiere: 50i vs 25p
on Dec 15, 2011 at 9:40:22 am

Confusing? Yes.

I understand the concept of interlacing, but this is what I thought: If I film in 50i, the cam takes frames two times faster than at 25p. It takes only half frames, though. I hoped, that by De-Interlacing, I could reconstruct part of the missing information, so that I get results that are – of course – not true 50p, but something that's more fluent than 25p.

Did I get that wrong? False expectation? Is the 50i spec only marketing bulls#§"?

Would be cool if someone could clarify this for me...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]