FORUMS: list search recent posts

[About to be] New to DSLR Videos... Which one?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon Lloyd
[About to be] New to DSLR Videos... Which one?
on Dec 13, 2011 at 5:40:38 am

I know this is a fairly broad question, but it wasn't until recently (and I mean in the last few weeks) that I realised DSLR videos could be of such high quality. In fact I didn't really acknowledge the capability at all.

So, as a long time owner of a Nikon D70 (2004) for which I have thoroughly enjoyed the experience (including a small home studio - money earning stint) I now find myself with the itch to have a go at the Videography aspect "as well". This has come about through the use of an HD Helmet Cam (Drift HD170) for Mountain Biking and then the associated research and discovery of this burgeoning aspect of DSLR's.

So, to the point... it seems as thought the Canon D7 keeps floating to the top. Bearing in mind I (now) only have a single Nikon Lens - the swap to another brand is not a huge leap. If I were to enter into the amateur ranks of DSLR video... is this a worthy choice? What should I consider?

Your help here or re-direction to appropriate material would be gratefully appreciated.

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
Re: [About to be] New to DSLR Videos... Which one?
on Dec 13, 2011 at 8:13:43 am

[Jon Lloyd] "What should I consider?"

(Cue Jason waving his GH2)

Ahem. You really should do some googling on the Panasonic GH2. It overcomes many of the limitations of other DSLR's. In case anyone was wondering... I love mine.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Jon Lloyd
on Dec 13, 2011 at 8:59:04 am

Excellent - that's the sort of advice I need. Just looked at a quick review of the GH2 on YouTube and I have to say it looks pretty good (a bit cheaper too by the loks of things). He did also mention that they actually have a dedicated video lens for it too....

Hmmm - nice work Jason.

Thanks

Return to posts index

John Young
on Dec 13, 2011 at 3:58:49 pm

What kind of stuff are you hoping to capture with this new DSLR?

http://www.johnathanyoung.com

Return to posts index

Jon Lloyd
on Dec 13, 2011 at 11:21:33 pm

Hi Johnathan (that's my name too but without the 'h')

Good question... I haven't really settled on exactly what I will want to do with the 'new' camera. The interest has come about from the HD video functionality and I have seen a myriad of videos on YouTube I would love to emulate. The stills side is a given and I have had training in this aspect of DSLR.

Short movies etc maybe 3 minute stuff, nature, Mountain biking. Editing is the next learning curve though.

I researched the Panasonic DMC GH2 last night - seems ok. I like the weight of the Canon vs the GH2. I have a way to go yet.

Btw - went to look at your site for inspiration but my Trend virus scanner says your website has "malicious URLs" (http://www.sweepstakesandcontestsnow.com).

JL

Return to posts index

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
on Dec 14, 2011 at 1:12:15 am

Hi Jon: If you haven't already seen it, refer to my recent post here on CreativeCOW:
http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/280/7792

Let us know if you have further questions. Cheers.

---

http://www.peterdv.com

Return to posts index

Jon Lloyd
on Dec 14, 2011 at 1:45:02 am

Thanks Peter. I did see this post and the multiple replies but I didn't get very far down the list!

I will give that some thought. Just to be clear, my creative desires are purely for personal use (and YouTube for cudos!) and there is unlikely to be any commercial endeavour.... I am otherise gainfully employed!

This i smy most recent just from an HD Helmet Cam (Drift HD170) which sparked my interest:

Regards

Jon

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]