FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transcoding 7D Video for Vegas 9.0 PC

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joseph Wu
Transcoding 7D Video for Vegas 9.0 PC
on Mar 7, 2010 at 12:55:07 pm

I have a canon7D and i usually shoot in 1280x720 60P .
I use vegas 9.0 PC to render/edit. I heard many things about transcoding 7D footage to Prores but i understand that is a MAC codec, I'm very fluent when it comes to PC's, just i have never transcoded before. What is the benefit of transcoding 7D footage, and how should i do so?

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
Re: Transcoding 7D Video for Vegas 9.0 PC
on Mar 7, 2010 at 4:18:51 pm

Hi there, I always think of transcoding as up-rezzing. I'm not necessarily improving my footage, but I'm getting the advantages of a more versatile format. The 7D basically shoots using h.264 in an MPEG 4 wrapper, BUT this is not a good editing or rendering format whereas Apple's ProRes is. Also, because it's MPEG, it's lossy. You want out of a lossy format during editing. The people I know who use Vegas prefer to transcode to AVI (lossless) - you can use MPEG Streamclip for this (http://www.squared5.com/). I use it on my Mac for a quick convert to ProRes.

Forgot one thing: ProRes uses a 422 color space while the files from the 7D are 420. This basically means you are getting some extra color potential in a broader format. It doesn't add color, but it broadens your range in the edit.

I'm going through a bunch of 7D footage from this weekend right now - a zombie short comedy we've been working on. I'm always so completely in love with the footage from the 7D. It's just so darn pretty! ;)

Jonathan Ziegler
http://www.electrictiger.com/
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Joseph Wu
on Mar 7, 2010 at 4:33:40 pm

Which codec should i use in streamclip?

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Mar 8, 2010 at 12:54:56 am

Joseph you do not need to use an external transcoder if you are cutting with Vegas. Like I said earlier and Neil wrote- you can use the the raw Quicktimes out of the Canon in Vegas. Vegas however is not real Quicktime friendly - you're never going to get consistent true realtime playback, even off a fast RAID array.

If you must convert there is a easy way to batch clips in Vegas to a Sony friendly codec. If you place each raw clip on a single timeline end to end in Vegas, double-clicking them and adding a REGION around each clip as you add them (just press R key) you can then use the Batch function in the scripting menu to encode the regions into any folder using any codec you desire (or have loaded on your system). I would suggest XDCAM 35 or 50 Mbps at full quality flavors as they run in native real-time in Vegas with no issues. Sounds confusing at first but it's very easy and allows you to encode a bunch of selects at once.

Lance Bachelder
Southern California

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Mar 7, 2010 at 5:23:18 pm

If you're editing the 7D footage right from the camera in Vegas and you're happy with the performance then there is really no need to transcode. You'll be doing that anyway when you complete your show and render to a finished product.

If you'd like to transcode to a great codec for editing I would recommend buying Neoscene from Cineform. Neoscene will properly transcode your 7D footage into the best available codec I've seen for cutting on the PC. Works in Vegas and Premiere Pro equally well and is far better than ProRES or any other compressed codec. They also have a OSX version of Neoscene that works well.

Lance Bachelder
Southern California

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Neil Abeynayake
on Mar 8, 2010 at 12:17:43 am

Joseph,

You do NOT have to transcode 7D captures to edit using Sony Vegas app. Just make sure that you have installed the latest Apple QuickTime codec installed in your PC. Most desired (or popular) Windows editing programs will take whatever given to them (i.e. if you have installed the proper codec) and compile an edit without much of a hassle.

You may already know this. If you do not have a dedicated editing card such as Grass Valley (or Canopus) Storm, HD Spark, Edius, Matrox, Avid etc., etc, you have to software render all effects, graphics and titles etc. Often it is frustrating to watch the video stream stuttering while in timeline playback mode.

And if you do not own or have access to an above mentioned dedicated editing hardware, here is a tip many tend to neglect.

If possible, move alternate clips to two separate hard drives in your computer. This helps when you playback the entire timeline and things will go much smoother.

"Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else".

Confucius

Return to posts index

Joseph Wu
on Mar 8, 2010 at 2:29:25 pm

This is exactly what I'm doing now. I have couple WD blacks on my PC, and I split off the files accordingly.

The performance I can bear with as my PC is a Corei7 with 12 gigs of ram running 64BIT.

The reason I asked the above question is, for some reason I got the idea from other posts, saying transcoding will give better real-time editing performance and improve quality (Prores 422), but if thats not the case on Windows based system, then i guess i should be fine.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Return to posts index

Norman Pogson
on Mar 8, 2010 at 2:00:50 pm

I use Cineform Neoscene for all my Canon 7D clips and edit in Sony Vegas, the file gets converted to a 4.2.2 .avi

If you buy from Videoguys NY you get it for $90 instead of $130

Why are you not using the full resolution of the camera for video? I shoot 1080p all the time and treat the footage as an archival original, then my output is adjusted as necessary.

My Canon 7D Blog

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Mar 8, 2010 at 8:25:05 pm

Thanks for mentioning the Videoguys tip - that's where I bought Neoscene for my Mac. Arey ou using V9 on Windows 7? 64 bit version?

Lance Bachelder
Southern California

Return to posts index

Norman Pogson
on Mar 8, 2010 at 9:27:13 pm

Hi Lance,

I'm on vista with Neoscene 64bit with vegas 8, I actually found a fault on Neoscene, which when they worked out what was causing it(their tech service is excellent), they created a new addition on version 8.

The problem was if you turned the sound off on the 7D, Neo wouldn't process the file, so they did write a new version which isn't affected by turning the sound off.

My Canon 7D Blog

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Mar 9, 2010 at 6:45:07 am

Thanks!

Lance Bachelder
Southern California

Return to posts index

Joel Mielle
on Mar 9, 2010 at 10:14:20 am

Neoscene works for me. I'm about to shoot a feature with my canon 7D and editing in 24P on Sony Vegas Pro. It works damn well but I am using 8 cores. My only gripe is trying to deactivate it to use on another machine is a real pain in the #*&^!!!

Anyone interested you can check out my website and teaser at:
http://www.sixlovers.com/
and perhaps log onto the blog and I will share my experiences as a first time film maker using the 7D.

Return to posts index

Norman Pogson
on Mar 9, 2010 at 12:54:57 pm

Send tech support a request and they will give you a deactivation code, then you can switch machines.

My Canon 7D Blog

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Mar 11, 2010 at 9:30:15 am

Good luck with your feature! We just shot a feature with 2 7D's and loved using them. Keep us posted on the progress!

Lance Bachelder
Southern California

Return to posts index

Joel Mielle
on Mar 11, 2010 at 9:33:53 am

Thanks for your well wishes. Would Love to hear more about your feature.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]