FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advice next piece of gear

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Young
Advice next piece of gear
on Nov 26, 2011 at 4:57:10 am

Hey guys,
Wanted to get everyone's opinion on my next purchase for my DSLR setup.  I have got $1,500-$2,000 to use for my next piece of gear. Here is my current setup:  Canon 7D, Canon EFS 17-55 lens, Nikon 50mm 1.4,  Nikon 35mm 2.0.  Manfrotto tripod and monopod. My work is mostly short films, interviews, and live music.

Here is what I am considering and I am looking for advice on what you all would prioritize in your setup.
--------
Follow focus and rails
Monitor
Wide angle lens (Tokina 11-16mm) or Nikon Nikkor 18mm
Light kit

Or anything else you all might suggest.  Thank you in advance.
John

http://www.johnathanyoung.com

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Advice next piece of gear
on Nov 26, 2011 at 2:39:47 pm

You definitely need

* a Variable ND filter with around 6-9 stops of neutral density

* SOUND!!! Zoom H4N, at least one pair of wireless lavalier mics (preferably 2), Rhode VideoMic for your camera (to improve the quality of the built-in audio), headphones. Optionally a shogun mic and stand so that you can hang a mic over subjects in a sit-down interview situation.

* Any money left over? A Konova slider

* Start thinking about your storage and backup solutions - video files are huge and you tend to create multiple versions of videos as you edit....everything has to be backed up

Return to posts index

John Young
on Nov 26, 2011 at 2:51:22 pm

Thanks Steve. You are right about the need for sound. I do have a basic sound setup with a Zoom H4N and headphones. Some lavs are a good idea and something i should think about.

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Nov 26, 2011 at 2:55:36 pm

Oh, I forgot to mention, the Vari ND filter is so that you can get shallow depth of field shots outside even in bright sunlight and I meant to mention also something like the Zacutto Z-Finder so that you can see your LCD screen while filming outdoors - that's pretty critical!

Return to posts index

Liam Hall
on Nov 27, 2011 at 12:26:56 pm

If you want your interviews to look better your next purchase should definitely be lighting. The best bang for your buck is a Photoflex Starlite QL kit that comes with a 60cm x 90cm soft-box.

I'm not a fan of vaiy-nd like others are, so I'd recommend a set of Tiffen ND filters.

Take a look at the LCDFVF. It's a great cost effective solution.

Spend the rest on glass:)

Liam Hall
Director/DoP/Editor
http://www.liamhall.net

Return to posts index

Colin McQuillan
on Nov 27, 2011 at 5:31:02 pm

[Liam Hall] "I'm not a fan of vaiy-nd like others are, so I'd recommend a set of Tiffen ND filters."

Likewise. Over the summer I purchased the Genus variable nd filter and was not pleased with the softening and colour shifting through the various strength of ND. I find it only usable with wider lens' and I stay away from the stronger levels of ND. The only time I see myself using it in the future is in fast paced run-and-gun situation, keeping in mind the limitations I just mentioned.

I purchased a set of Tiffen Water White ND filters and am very pleased with their performance.

Colin McQuillan
Vancouver, B.C.

"Live, love, laugh and be happy."

Return to posts index

Steve Smede
on Dec 7, 2011 at 8:01:23 am

Beyond the h4n-consumer rode combo, what's your workaround for audio? Good clean sound is never sexy as a new lens or jib, but bad audio will undo any and every other purchase you would make. (Not that I assume your audio sucks because you have introductory equipment!) You mentioned interviews. If your sound sucks, it all sucks. I'd suggest a good wireless lav system plus a plug transmitter ($800), a mid-range field mixer ($600), a pro shotgun ($300) and boom pole ($200).

Return to posts index

John Young
on Dec 7, 2011 at 3:30:14 pm

You are totally right. My "work-around" strategy up to this point has been to beg/borrow/steal good equipment from others. I am just trying to find the right mix of gear to give me the best quality for my small budget. Thanks for replying.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]