FORUMS: list search recent posts

600d manual lens problem

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Agyemang
600d manual lens problem
on Nov 23, 2011 at 11:22:32 pm

Hi,
I recently bought two vintage lenses, a Pentax-M 50mm 1.4 and a Vivitar 28mm 2.5 for the 600d. They shoot great images but strangely the metering is way off in video mode. When I am in manual still mode the meter works perfectly fine, but as soon as I switch to video the meter always indicates a few stops of underexposure (I made sure to apply the same settings to compare video and still metering: shutter 1/50, wide open, same ISO, but the difference is huge). When I attach the kit lens, metering for stills and video reads the same though. I don't know if this is common with vintage lenses, I hope you can help me out.
BTW, I use a k-mount to eos for the pentax and a m42 to eos for the vivitar, both by Fotodiox, so I think it can't be the adapter that's causing this.

Thanks a lot

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: 600d manual lens problem
on Nov 24, 2011 at 12:41:46 am

Just to double check, with the two lenses you mentioned and with the adapters in use, is the metering also off in PHOTO mode?

Return to posts index

Stephen Agyemang
on Nov 24, 2011 at 12:42:45 pm

no, in photo mode the meter works fine.

what I also forgot to mention was, that whenever I switch to video mode, the camera asks me to ensure that a lens is attached and press a button to activate movie shooting. But I think that might be simply because manual lenses can't communicate with the camera.

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Nov 24, 2011 at 2:46:57 pm

So we know it's not the lens or adapter causing issues because both work in photo mode...and it's not the camera meter itself which is good news, so maybe try a reset of the camera back to factory settings just to eliminate any camera setting issues.

Return to posts index

Stephen Agyemang
on Nov 24, 2011 at 4:19:48 pm

I tried resetting the camera and also did a firmware update and the issue still occurs.
However, I noticed that when I choose auto ISO instead of dialing the iso manually, the meter also works correctly in video mode. But as soon as I set the ISO myself, the meter shows 2-3 stops of underexposure again, even if I dial the same ISO, that the camera just chose with auto ISO.
For example: shutter 1/50th, aperture 1.4, auto ISO (camera chooses 3200) --> exposure indicator is in the middle
but with the same settings,
shutter 1/50th, aperture 1.4, ISO 3200 (set manually) --> exposure indicator is three stops to the left.
(Didn't change the framing or light, of course)

Maybe somebody else in here with a 600d (or any other canon) and a manual lens+adapter could check if this is a common flaw, or if its really just my camera.

Thank you

Return to posts index

Steve Brodie
on Sep 4, 2013 at 7:35:37 am

I have exactly this same behaviour. Does anybody know why it happens?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Chris Daniele
on Aug 10, 2014 at 11:34:42 pm

Had this EXACT dilemma with my t4i after using extension tubes for macro photos but I have found a way to solve it. After resetting everything and updating firmware I had no luck. What you need to do is put a canon lens (or any auto aperture lens) on the camera, turn on live view and open the aperture to its lowest stop. Next, turn live view off, but keep the cameras power on. Remove the lens and replace with the manual lens you were having the issue with (mine was a Sigma 14mm 2.8). It should now be showing a correctly exposed live view during manual ISO. Hope this helps anyone with this problem.

Return to posts index

Steve Brodie
on Aug 14, 2014 at 6:01:59 am

This worked for me on my 600D. Thanks so much for sharing this!

Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]