FORUMS: list search recent posts

NIKON D3100 and STROBO LIGHT

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ignacio de Barrio
NIKON D3100 and STROBO LIGHT
on Nov 23, 2011 at 6:13:33 pm

Hi! I'm new to this forum,I'd like to place a new entry to the forum which is kind of urgent.
In 3 days I've got to record a videoclip using a flash strobo light and I'm using Nikon D3100. The thing is that I've been testing it and I can't get it to record properly the strobo light, it makes horizontal lines of light all over the screen...

I've tried in NTSC,PAL...I need it in full HD,which the Nikon has in 24fps... What can I do???

SOS!!

Return to posts index

Colin McQuillan
Re: NIKON D3100 and STROBO LIGHT
on Nov 23, 2011 at 8:07:50 pm

So, is the issue when your strobe light flashes you only see the light flash in a horizontal chunk of the frame? or you are using a constant light source and you see thick horizontal lines scrolling across your screen?

The latter issue is caused by the way your cmos chip captures an image. It is the same reason CMOS chips succumb to rolling shutter jello-vision effects. It is unavoidable while recording video around flashes. You can "fix it it post" if you like by adding the effect to the rest of your footage over that frame.
Otherwise use a camera with CCD chips.

The later issue is caused by certain light sources (most commonly fluorescent tubes). If your shutter is not set to a multiple of the power frequency of the light source (60 in NTSC countries, 50 in PAL areas) you will see these lines. Good old fashion tungsten light sources do not cause this issue.

Colin McQuillan
Vancouver, B.C.

"Live, love, laugh and be happy."

Return to posts index

Colin McQuillan
Re: NIKON D3100 and STROBO LIGHT
on Nov 25, 2011 at 11:11:35 pm

The first Latter should read former ;-) ((and the second misspelled 'later')) doh!

Colin McQuillan
Vancouver, B.C.

"Live, love, laugh and be happy."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]