FORUMS: list search recent posts

MPEG Steamclip problem

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John McKeown
MPEG Steamclip problem
on Nov 23, 2011 at 11:00:42 am

Hi

I'm using MPEG Streamclip to transcode DSLR footage for the first time. I selected in and out points in a long clip and converted to ProRes 422 and on completion of the transcode, I saw my source video file DISAPPEAR from the finder window it was in, left only with the new clip.

I want to transcode the rest of the clip - which I can still preview in MPEG Streamclip - but I get an error code. Basically, it can't transcode a clip that doesn't exist any longer though it still is playable in the software interface.

I captured all the footage to a mirrored RAID (Fusion F2) but don't have a separate back up file. It's the master shot of a sequence and I'm lost without it.

I guess this might be a MAC OS problem as much as MPEG Streamclip but would really appreciate any guidance.

Many thanks.

John McKeown
Lakes Creative Limited
http://www.lakescreative.tv

MAC OS X 10.4.1.1, Mac Pro 2 x 3 GHZ Quad-core Intel Xeon, 8GB RAM, Final Cut Studio 2.

Return to posts index

Colin McQuillan
Re: MPEG Steamclip problem
on Nov 23, 2011 at 4:40:41 pm

Very strange! I've been using mpeg streamclip for many years and it has never deleted any source footage on me.

Did you look in your trash bin? Try a search for the file in Finder - perhaps it was accidentally moved into another folder...

Colin McQuillan
Vancouver, B.C.

"Live, love, laugh and be happy."

Return to posts index

John McKeown
on Nov 23, 2011 at 5:02:55 pm

Hi Colin

They were the first things I did because files don't just disappear do they? It's completely unfathomable. I just need to find a way of retrieving what's in the video pane in MPEG Streamclip.

I used this software before for converting mp4 files and only did so for the DSLR footage because I know a lot of people are happy with it. If I'd have thought about it I would have just used Compressor. And a back up would have been good!

John McKeown
Lakes Creative Limited

MAC OS X 10.4.1.1, Mac Pro 2 x 3 GHZ Quad-core Intel Xeon, 8GB RAM, Final Cut Studio 2.

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Nov 23, 2011 at 5:51:45 pm

Could this be an issue of overwriting? If you set the destination folder in MPEG Streamclip to be the same as the original storage location for the file AND you kept the file name the same then maybe it overwrote your original...just a theory on my part.

It would have warned you however before doing so.....hmmmmm

Return to posts index

John McKeown
on Nov 23, 2011 at 7:43:50 pm

Hi Steve

Thanks for your response.

I saved the file to the same folder but with a completely different name and I saw it vanish as the file completed the transcode.

It doesn't make sense to me and the more you think about it the more you think that you must have done something wrong or imagined it but if I'd dragged and dropped into another folder accidentally I would be able to search for it and if I'd moved it to trash, I'd be able to get it out.

Unless there's a way of deleting it from a Finder window without it hitting the Trash?!

I'm just taking a look to see if I can get away with editing it without the master clip for the most part but that's not the point.

Strange.

John McKeown
Lakes Creative Limited

Return to posts index

John McKeown
on Nov 28, 2011 at 3:33:07 pm

Hi Steve

The more I think about it, the more I think your answer is the only one that could be right. I would try and recreate the conditions by opening a new file in MPEG Streamclip but I don't want to lose the cached video file that is still showing in the user interface. That is my next objective - plus get a proper back up workflow!

Cheers

John McKeown
Lakes Creative Limited

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Dec 2, 2011 at 4:07:30 pm

Why not just use the file and transfer plugin for final cut? You don't need to use compressor or Streamclip anymore.

The plugin is available for a free download on Canon's site.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite