FORUMS: list search recent posts

Panasonic GH2 & HDMI import

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mike albertini
Panasonic GH2 & HDMI import
on Nov 18, 2011 at 1:28:14 pm

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a GH2...I've been reading about them but have a question concerning HDMI import...

I have a Mac Pro (4-core) 1st Gen 2006-2007 - 11GB ram/Radeon 3870)...and have read that you can import footage from the GH2 using USB or HDMI...

I've seen examples of people importing using the Matrox MX02 and the footage looks good...I've also seen a video on creative cow of footage which was imported using the Blackmagic Intensity Pro...

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/280/3984

If I just import using USB will I lose some quality in the image?...If so, is it worth getting a Matrox MX02 to import via HDMI or will the cheaper Blackmagic Intensity Pro do the job ok?

Also, has anyone come across any problems with this camera while editing, in either fcp7, ppro cs5 or avid mc 5.5?...I know i have to convert to prores for fcp...is it wise to convert from avchd before using in prpro and avid too?...

I'm considering only getting it with the 14-42 mm lens...I plan on using this for mini-docs/short films etc...does anyone with experience of using this camera think this will be sufficient?...I can of course buy more lenses if needed but just wanted to get opinions first...

Thanks,

Mike

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
Re: Panasonic GH2 & HDMI import
on Nov 18, 2011 at 9:15:03 pm

[mike albertini] "have read that you can import footage from the GH2 using USB or HDMI..."

Are you talking about live capture? If you are talking about getting recorded footage from the camera to your Mac, then just get an SD card reader.

[mike albertini] "
I'm considering only getting it with the 14-42 mm lens...I plan on using this for mini-docs/short films etc...does anyone with experience of using this camera think this will be sufficient?...I can of course buy more lenses if needed but just wanted to get opinions first..."

That is a good starting point. I have an f-mount adapter so I can use my old Nikon lenses. That's a pretty cost effective way to go.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

mike albertini
on Nov 18, 2011 at 10:36:05 pm

Hi Jason,
I'm talking about getting recorded media from the camera onto my computer...I read that the gh2 records 4:2:2 and if you want all the information and for it not to be compressed that a capture card was the way to go....USB and hdmi are the capture methods on the gh2 and apparently USB can't handle that...
But you think all I need is an sd card reader and it'll be fine?...

Return to posts index

Mike Thomas
on Nov 19, 2011 at 12:02:38 am

Mike, the GH2 is the best dslr out there right now in my opinion. You can't go wrong with it. Not sure about your specific question though. A friend of mine was experimenting with using an iPad to record from his GH2 externally. Don't know if he worked the bugs out though. I can ask him if you want.

For a different reason my GH2 will be for sale soon along with some Nikon 2.8 lens and extras. It's in mint condition. Contact me if interested or if you just want to talk about GH2's.

Return to posts index

mike albertini
on Nov 20, 2011 at 7:30:43 pm

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply...just out of interest how much are you selling your gh2 for and what lens will come with it?...also, I'm mulling over various options of how to record the sound while shooting with the gh2 and also what to get to stabilise the camera while shooting...

I have a budget of around £400/$630 (plus money i make on perhaps selling related stuff i already own -see below) for the sound equipment and stabiliser...

In terms of the stabiliser, I've come across options such as these:

I'll mainly be recording short docs and short films...I already own a marantz pmd 620 and an akg d5 mic but am thinking of maybe getting a shotgun mic for the camera when i want to do stuff on my own...and also a good thin rode mic to stick on a boom with a rode cat slapped on that...something like this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003RAJ0LK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5? ie=UTF8&m=AFMM07DNHCYQJ

I know alot of people suggest the zoom h4....have seen them on ebay for around £180... whats so great about the zoom h4 compared to the marantz? is it worth selling my marantz and akg mic for one of those?...is there a setup whereby zoom h4 can be right next to the camera without me having to hold it?

Thanks
Mike

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Nov 20, 2011 at 7:23:44 am

Just record directly to the SD card in the camera. The footage looks fantastic!

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media

Return to posts index

mike albertini
on Nov 21, 2011 at 9:59:14 am

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the replies...Btw, do you have any recommendations of good stabilisers for this camera in the $150-$300 range?...And good sound set up?...Maybe something like this?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003RAJ0LK/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_g23_i1?...

Is it even worth getting a shotgun mic for this camera? Ive read the sound is pretty bad straight off the camera which is why another option im thinking is just to record on my marantz pmd 620...?

Thanks

Mike

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Nov 21, 2011 at 6:51:45 pm

[mike albertini] "do you have any recommendations of good stabilisers for this camera in the $150-$300 range?...And good sound set up?"

I don't have a steadicam of any kind, but I do have a good tripod, a shoulder mount system and a nice jib.

For audio, I use a JuicedLink DT454. It has very clean preamps; I plug my mic into it and then run a line out into the GH2 for recording. I set the GH2 to the lowest audio gain setting. I'm very happy with the results!

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media

Return to posts index

Mike Thomas
on Nov 22, 2011 at 12:01:16 am

I'll probably end up Ebaying my GH2 so my price is whatever I can get. If you got the money make me an offer. My lens are Tokina 24-70 2.8 and 80-200 2.8 in Nikon mount with an adapter. I highly recommend Tokina.

I shot a 50 minute mini-movie this summer so I had another person recording audio using my Marantz 661 with a Rode NTG 3. For what you're wanting to do I recommend the JuiceLink as Jason said. Cheesycam.com has some recently posted videos all about them.

For support I have a custom cage which is little more than a handle on both sides that I can attach accessories to including my Zacuto EVF which is mounted above the camera on the left side. I made a custom bracket for the EVF and with the use of a manual shutter release cable mounted on the right handle I can actually use my right hand to activate the "focus assist" feature on the EVF by pushing the release cable button. It works great to quickly check my focus without having to take my left hand off the lens.

Get a good tripod with a bowl for quick leveling. An inexpensive jib works wonders also.

Return to posts index

Dan Herz
on Nov 23, 2011 at 6:32:59 pm

I am seriously considering buying a GH2...sounds like an awesome camera. I have a Nikon ED - AF Nikkor 80-200mm lens and a Nikon AF Nikkor 35-70mm lens. Wondering what adaptor you have to attach your Nikon lenses to the Panasonic body...and if the lenses work well with auto focus, etc. Wondering also if it is worth buying the camera with the Panasonic lens...or if I should just buy the camera body and use my Nikon lenses. Thanks for any info you can provide!

-Dan

Return to posts index

Mike Thomas
on Nov 23, 2011 at 10:05:09 pm

I use a Metabone adapter which works fine. When you use an adapter you will lose the ability of the camera and lens to communicate...which means no auto focus. It also means that you will have to use lens with the older manual aperture ring in order to adjust the lens' f-stop. I don't really recommend the stock panasonic lens that comes with the camera if you're planning to shoot seriously.

My camera, lens and such are now on Ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-GH2-Digital-Camera-ZACUTO-EVF-and-custom-...

Return to posts index

mike albertini
on Nov 24, 2011 at 12:45:09 am

Hi jason,

Thanks for the feedback...I like the look of the Juicedlink...thats ones slightly out of my price range at the moment though...I did come across this re-furbished item from Beachtek...It does the same thing doesnt it? - ie allows you to use mics with xlr and sorts out the noise?...Have you any views on the Beachtek items?

http://beachtek.com/cgi-bin/online/storepro.php

btw when you say ' i then run a line into the GH2 for recording' what exactly do you mean?...

Thanks,

Mike

Return to posts index

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
on Nov 25, 2011 at 2:05:03 am

Hi Mike: An external mic mixer/preamp can yield very good results when properly connected to a GH2 (or other DSLR that has a mic input).

External audio devices typically have line-level output. Line level signals will overload (distort) a mic-level input. Line level can be easily converted to mic level by using a relatively inexpensive -40db (or -50db) pad attenuator or adapter cable/pad. Pads & attenuating adapter cables are available from a variety of vendors, for example:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/351407-REG/Whirlwind_IMPAD40_IMPAD40_...
http://www.sescom.com/product.asp?item=LN2MIC-50DB&LN2MIC-50DB

I've actually gotten good results using my Sennheiser shotgun & wireless mics with my GH1 & GH2 cameras connected together WITHOUT using a preamp/mixer. The output from these mics is a relatively high level (loud) signal, so I usually connect the mic's output through a -25db pad before connecting it to my cams' mic input. This technique was used for all the audio in the following video:

I get noticeably better sound quality if I use my SoundDevices MixPre mixer (and a -40db pad) between my mics and my GH1/GH2. However, the resulting rat's nest of devices, cables, adapters, etc. can't be used in a run & gun production, and may not be practical for sit-down, tripod based shooting, either.

Cheers.

---

http://www.peterdv.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]