FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon EOS Rebel T2i

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Knox
Canon EOS Rebel T2i
on Nov 17, 2011 at 5:42:21 am

Hey guys, what does everyone think about the Canon EOS Rebel T2i as opposed to canon 5d for someone who is interested in shooting video and high quality stills.

I hear everyone talk about 5D but it's so much money.

Any thoughts?
Thank You In Advance

2 x 2.66 GHZ Dual Core Intel 5GB 667 Ram
OSX 10.5

Return to posts index

Phil Balsdon
Re: Canon EOS Rebel T2i
on Nov 17, 2011 at 6:46:33 am

High quality stills, definitely the 5D.

Cinematographer, Steadicam Operator, Final Cut Pro Post Production.
http://philming.com.au
http://www.steadi-onfilms.com.au/

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Nov 17, 2011 at 10:56:23 am

For "just" video: Not much difference between the 5DMkII and T2i (especially when using Magic Lantern). The 5DMkII has a slightly better low-light performance. But all in all: I would invest in lenses rather than the body.

If it goes for video *and* stills: Get the 5DMkII (or the 7D if you don't need a full-frame sensor).

------------------------------------------
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot." - Buster Keaton

Return to posts index

Jorden Mosley
on Nov 17, 2011 at 1:31:07 pm

It's good camera for video. And as mentioned before, I'd just get the body only. But if your just getting the body, I'd recommend the T3i instead. It has manual audio control, a good digital zoom, and a handy swivel screen that the t2i doesn't. But if you look up nextag right now there's a sale on the 60D body for around 500.00. I'd recommend that camera over both the t3i and t2i.

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Nov 17, 2011 at 5:28:36 pm

It depends, depends, depends. If you are a pro photographer wanting to try this crazy DSLR video thing, you should consider the 5D. If you just want video and some nice photos to boot, then the T2i is your best bet. Neither camera was designed for video per se - they are both primarily photo cameras with video features crudely thrown in. That doesn't mean they don't shoot great video, but if you're new to video, get a video camera - the video implementation is seriously lacking when coMpared to even basic, consumer level features. Having a film background from a long time ago, my T2i reminds me of a 16mm Bolex camera with a few gosh neat features like instant playback and cheap processing (yes there is more to it than that). Oh and don't be fooled by the cost of the body - you'll spend far more on lenses and extras in the long run - even me and I'm really cheap. ;) consider renting from somewhere like borrowlenses.com or a similar place that has DSLR packages you can rent for the weekend for about $200-300. I own 1 camera and rent the rest so I don't have to keep up with the jones every week.

Jonathan Ziegler
http://www.electrictiger.com/
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Nov 17, 2011 at 6:18:31 pm

Well I am an enthusiastic T2i owner so naturally I suggest going for that camera, the video is really great and the price leaves money left over to invest in lenses and all the other gear you will be needing too.

If you are a still photography pro (and I mean really pro!) yes then maybe the 5DMII makes sense but you can excellent high quality professional stills with the T2i no problem. Think back just a few years ago when photographers had mostly all manual cameras - were their cameras not capable of producing professional quality images? Many of the most famous images in the world were photographed on what we could consider now really old cameras with outdated tech...it's not the camera that's going to make an image professional/high quality - it's the photographer and their skill.

In an ideal world with unlimited funds yes I would probably go for the 5DMII just for the full frame video but I don't live in that world and I don't think you do either, yet I am able to work professionally doing video documentaries using my "old" T2i!

Return to posts index

Cal Thorley
on Nov 17, 2011 at 9:04:13 pm

Video wise, I've been using one on the odd occasion over the last year and it's certainly a great tool for certain situations. I wouldn't rely on it as my only option however, as you're no doubt aware,there are a lot of hurdles with audio, rolling shutter, clip length restrictions, overheating, not to mention stabilising the thing. So yeah, either pick your battles or spend a lot making it behave more like a video camera.

I much prefer the look from my mates 5Dm2 with it's full size sensor but if it's not an economical investment wise (like it wasn't for me) the lower cost alternatives aren't bad and any lens you buy will work better should you upgrade to the 5d spec down the track.

Photo wise, 5D no contest! Both take acceptable pics but the 5D is just another level again.

Return to posts index

Martin Knox
on Nov 17, 2011 at 11:03:20 pm

Everybody's posts haves been great. Thanks!

With all that said, Is there a pro/consumer video camera you recommend with image quality comparable to the 5D on a low budget? less than $1000.

In the $400-%600 range if I'm lucky

OSX 10.5

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Nov 17, 2011 at 11:13:43 pm

That's the entire point of HD DSLRs for video...normal videocameras (except at the SUPER high end of the professional market) are simply not capable of producing the kind of cinematic images that are the hallmark of cameras like the Canon T2i, 7D and 5DMII. The T2i is only $800! (Yes, you will be spending more to achieve the best looks with any HD DSLR)

A few years ago, people were using the Canon HV20 (now replaced by the HV40) and attaching a depth of field adapter in front to get images that are closer to what is now available on HD DSLRs - and besides thats a much more expensive solution.

A cheap videocamera will produce footage that is exactly the opposite of that. I don't know why you would even consider one! :-) (well okay there are some advantages to traditional camcorders that have already been mentioned in this thread but if you want that old school video look why even bother looking at the T2i?)

Camcorders have their place, for some projects they are the best choice but for me they are so over! :-) Best of luck to you in your endeavors!

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Nov 17, 2011 at 9:48:58 pm

Don't overlook the Panasonic GH2! No overheating; unlimited record time; no moire; on-screen audio meters; swivel screen... All this in a $900 body!

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Cal Thorley
on Nov 17, 2011 at 11:25:55 pm

As Steve says, the HDSLRs are so popular because they're capable of shots not normally anywhere near your price range. That's why people are happy (ish) to accept and work around the limitations with the format.
The GH2 is also a very underrated camera and deserves consideration.

Just be aware that it isn't the tool for all applications but what it can do for the price is awesome.

Return to posts index

Martin Knox
on Nov 19, 2011 at 6:32:34 am

Thanks for all your help guys. I'm gonna get T2i. There seems to really be some good packages available.

I was thinking of getting the 32GB SD card. How much video can that card hold. Do I need multiple cards?

Does anyone know where I can get a shoulder harness of some kind to be able stabilize the camera on my shoulder while shooting?

OSX 10.5

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Nov 19, 2011 at 6:49:54 am

A 32GB card will hold about 100min. of video in 12min. (or 4GB) clips.

Do you *need* multiple cards? Well, it depends on what you're about to do? How much footage do you inted to shoot?

Simply out of security reasons, I'd get two or more 16GB cards rather than one big 32GB card. If one card fails you'd still have another card left. Another benefit: When one card is full, you can work with the second card and backup the first card in the meantime to your laptop...

------------------------------------------
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot." - Buster Keaton

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]