FORUMS: list search recent posts

What's the best way to convert .MTS files to .MOV for editing in FCP 7?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Bram
What's the best way to convert .MTS files to .MOV for editing in FCP 7?
on Nov 14, 2011 at 9:40:14 pm

I'm shooting hi-res AVCHD files on a Lumix GH1 using a 32GB Lexar class 10 card then ingesting into Final Cut Pro 7. So far, so good, only yesterday the media on this card IS NOT SHOWING UP IN LOG & TRANSFER The card mounts on the desktop. The media (as .MTS files) displays in the STREAM folder of the card. The clips play fine on the camera screen -- but NONE OF THE CLIPS ON THIS CARD APPEAR IN LOG & TRANSFER FOR INGESTION. I also use an 8GB card as well, no prob. Everything works fine for ingestion.

Is this a card problem? (LEXAR says no.) Is it a FCP prob? How do I get these files into FCP 7 to edit?

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: What's the best way to convert .MTS files to .MOV for editing in FCP 7?
on Nov 15, 2011 at 3:10:40 pm

Uhhh stupid question but you are navigating to the correct card/folder from within Log/Transfer right?

Return to posts index

Chris Bram
on Nov 15, 2011 at 8:44:14 pm

Yes. Normally, once the card has mounted the media just appears in Log & Transfer. With this card -- there's nothing.

Return to posts index

Chris Bram
on Nov 16, 2011 at 4:07:01 pm

So, any recommendations on the best way to convert .MTS files to .MOV? What would you suggest?

Return to posts index

Chris Bram
on Nov 17, 2011 at 10:29:41 pm

The answer I was looking for (for anyone else facing this problem) is a program like ClipWrap.

Return to posts index

Norm Legge
on Dec 7, 2011 at 2:52:26 am

I've also been searching for this answer. I have orphaned MTS files from a card that has already been reformated. So, I've no hope of using the original file structure. ClickWrap and iSkysoft video converter get good mention. I'd like to hear from anybody with actual use feedback on one over the other. A number of the "comparison" sites are just marketing shills.

Return to posts index

Nick Lan
on Mar 24, 2014 at 6:30:37 am

As a DV photographer, I purchased Sony HDR-AX2000 which creates MTS files that can't be read directly by FCP. But I am lack of skilled computer program instructions. It couldn't seem to pick a correct encodings to get the audio and video to stay in sync. I try imelfin video converter which can convert MTS Files to Editable Quicktime MOV.

http://www.imelfin.com/doc/how-to-convert-mts-files-to-editable-quicktime-mov.html.pdf

Return to posts index

chris king
on Aug 26, 2015 at 9:07:21 am

I’m trying to play a MTS video on Mac with QuickTime, but I found MTS is not supported by QuickTime player. Searching the web, more than one guys told me to convert MTS to MOV. Since you also wanna change MTS to MOV format, I think the way I figured out works for you too. Here is the detailed guide on how to encode MTS to MOV. Uh, by the way, when I using the MTS converter app other guys recommended, I found the software provides the preset ProRes .mov for Final Cut Pro. I think it would be the optimal choice for you to edit in your FCP.

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Sep 3, 2015 at 6:32:06 am
Last Edited By Aaron Star on Sep 3, 2015 at 6:36:03 am

I would try FFMPEG and transform the MTS file into something you can use directly in any NLE. Just but the clips up your NLE when editing. FFMPEG seems hard at 1st, but sticking to the commands below will keep it simple. With wildcards for input and output files, you can convert entire directories of files.

http://ffmpeg.org/

Post questions in the FFMPEG Creative Cow Forum.

The FFMPEG command to rewrap the MTS is:

ffmpeg -i "InputFileName".mts -vcodec copy -acodec pcm_s16le -ar 48000 -ac 2 "OutputFileName".avi/.mov

This will copy the AVCHD codec as is, and covert the audio to PCM16bit@48Khz with 2 channels inside a .AVI or .MOV container.

Change pcm_s16le to pcm_s24le for 24-bit audio.

You could also convert right to ProRes with this command.

ffmpeg -i "InputFileName".mts -vcodec prores -acodec pcm_s16le -ar 48000 -ac 2 "OutputFileName".mov

Add -profile 2 or 3 to the command to get Normal or HQ

You can convert straight to DNxHD @ 45Mbs with this command:

ffmpeg -i "InputFileName".mts -vcodec dnxhd -s 1920x1080 -b:v 45M -acodec pcm_s16le -ar 48000 -ac 2 "OutputFileName".mxf or .mov

Bump up the bit rate to the DNxHD profile bitrate you use.

ffplay "OutputFileName".mxf/.mov./.avi will play the file.

ffprobe "OutputFileName".mxf/.mov./.avi will give internal stats on the video file.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]