FORUMS: list search recent posts

550D hdmi output fades when moving camera.

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cal Thorley
550D hdmi output fades when moving camera.
on Nov 14, 2011 at 3:17:13 am

Hi there.
Now I'm 99% sure this will be operator incompetence so feel free to laugh at me. If you laugh while pointing out why I'm an idiot, then we'll both benefit!

I've recently aquired a field monitor that also has an HDMI port so I figured it'll come in handy for shooting on my 550D. However, after scratching my head for a while I've realised the signal is cutting out when ever I physically move the camera, then kicks back in when you put it down . The reason I suspect it's a setting or something I've missed is that the signal actually seems to 'fade' in and out - like a half second dissolve if you will.
I've ruled out the monitor end. I purchased another cable which doesn't seem to work at all which doesn't help my cause there. So I'm confused!
Anything else I'm clearly missing??
Laugh away!
Thanks a lot.
Cal

Return to posts index

Phil Balsdon
Re: 550D hdmi output fades when moving camera.
on Nov 14, 2011 at 1:16:55 pm

Faulty HDMI port on the camera or the monitor. (As you've changed the cable, unless the second cable is also faulty).

Cinematographer, Steadicam Operator, Final Cut Pro Post Production.
http://philming.com.au
http://www.steadi-onfilms.com.au/

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Nov 14, 2011 at 3:22:07 pm

I am still suspicious of the cable, you said the second one didn't work at all....is there a way to test the second cable on another device that uses HDMI to see if it works there? My first thought was that the cable was somehow bending when the camera was being moved and that was cutting out the signal somehow, moving itself shouldn't do anything - or maybe it IS some kind of bad connection within the HDMI port that is disconnecting as you move the camera, strange....sorry I don't think I am being any help to you at all

Return to posts index

Ronn Kilby
on Nov 14, 2011 at 3:47:21 pm

I would definitely establish that the cable and monitor work with another device. Can you monitor anything with that monitor over HDMI? I have a monitor that has 3 HDMI inputs and thought my T2i (same camera) was not working when I couldn't get it to show up on the monitor. Then one day I tried it when I happen to NOT have anything plugged into the other HDMI inputs and voila! (This is a Sony Bravia)- makes no sense but it does work. If the monitor works with another source and the cable tests good, it must be the camera. In warranty?

Return to posts index

Cal Thorley
on Nov 14, 2011 at 9:10:27 pm

Thanks all.
Right, well if it's not some dodgy setting somewhere then I'll play the process of elimination game.
The monitor is definitely ok as I can hook my bluray player up to it. So it's either the cable or cam as I get the same issue when plugged in my tv at home.
Unfortunately don't have any other mini hdmi devices so will go and annoy someone who does.
Hopefully it's the cord, I doubt the camera will be under warranty.
Thanks again, much appreciated.
Cal

Return to posts index

Colin McQuillan
on Nov 15, 2011 at 4:55:52 am

My bet is on cable. They are not manufactured for production purposes and do not last. I burn through them like crazy.

I once thought my camera's port was fried. As it turned out both cables I had on hand were duds.

Colin McQuillan
Vancouver, B.C.

"Live, love, laugh and be happy."

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Nov 16, 2011 at 4:54:44 pm

I can also attest that I run through miniHDMI-HDMI cables. Make sure you get them cheap!

Return to posts index

Colin McQuillan
on Nov 16, 2011 at 7:11:26 pm

Came across this gem - 90 degree mini. Only ~$1.75 each if you order 1000. ;-/

http://www.hdmivgacables.com/china-90_degree_mini_hdmi_1_4_cable_hdmi_type_...

Colin McQuillan
Vancouver, B.C.

"Live, love, laugh and be happy."

Return to posts index

Cal Thorley
on Nov 17, 2011 at 8:51:00 pm

Thanks for the help guys. Third cable in and it works!
I ended up getting a pretty expensive one with Zacuto written on the bag, being 99% percent sure that only the bag would be actually branded zacuto, but hoping they would have chosen it at least with this purpose in mind. And wow, a 8.9" screen is certainly a little easier for focus with shallow dop.
Thanks again. Very happy it was the cheapest solution of the possible faults!
Cal

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]