FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon/Nikon video footage

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc Lucas
Canon/Nikon video footage
on Nov 11, 2011 at 3:28:39 pm

My friend is Nikon and I want to go down the Canon route. We are looking to start shooting the occasional wedding together. Do the cameras have different colour profiles or differences in the codec that they shoot or could there be any other short comings?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
Re: Canon/Nikon video footage
on Nov 12, 2011 at 5:40:03 pm

I was almost tempted not to respond to this because I'm sure there will be a host of posts. I'll speak to my experience: I use FCP studio 2 and 3 (not X) as well as After Effects, Photoshop and Motion. I've had problems tweaking colors from each camera (Canon 5D, 7D, and T2i and a Nikon D90) and issues getting footage to match from camera to camera, but I still got it to work. And yes, there are differences in color and codec from camera to camera as well as manufacturer to manufacturer.

That said, I think its easier to match Canon to Canon and Nikon to Nikon - so stick with one camera type and run with it. I find the Canon footage easier to work with and, in my OPINION, I think the Canon footage is better than the Nikon footage - I'm also heavily invested in Canon so my opinion is skewed that way.

Finally, due to the relatively recent tech that is HDSLRs, none of them are ideal. In fact, I think they are feature poor and loaded with quirks. We are using technology that wasn't really designed for what we are using it for. Consequently, it will all be flawed until the technology catches up to its uses, but if you apply standard cinematography and videography techniques, you can improve quality and production value.

Don't feel committed to buy a camera just yet. Instead, rent a Nikon and a Canon with comparable lenses (try a 50mm and a 35mm at the least and a couple zooms) for the weekend and run them side-by-side in the situations you plan on using them. Drop the footage in your NLE and see if you can run the footage side-by-side. I'm sure you can find a church that will allow you to shoot for a small donation for a couple hours. It will cost you something like $200-300 for the weekend versus $1000 just to find out you got the wrong camera for your situation. I only own 1 camera - I rent everything else so I don't have to constantly buy the next big thing in cameras and I charge my clients for equipment rather than hiding the cost in overhead. Check out borrowlenses.com and, of course, check locally for other photo/video pros for more info. I don't do weddings, but I think a $300-500 line-item for basic equipment is a reasonable charge.

Jonathan Ziegler
http://www.electrictiger.com/
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]