FORUMS: list search recent posts

Any reason I shouldn't shoot at 1080x30fps for action??

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Barnes
Any reason I shouldn't shoot at 1080x30fps for action??
on Nov 10, 2011 at 5:49:22 pm

I shoot motocross with my canon T2i and each shot is getting better and better so I'm happy with it. But I added the new Gopro Hero2 to my gear bag, so I'm thinking of shooting at 1080x30fps with both cameras. I have been shooting everything at 720x60fps as directed by most, in order to get smooth slow motion shots. My question is... If I switch to 1080x30fps will there be any negative effects in the footage? I.E motion blur, morphing etc. I ask because everything I shoot is near a track with high speed action and LOTS of panning. (also most of it is run and gun) Thanks in advance for your help!

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
Re: Any reason I shouldn't shoot at 1080x30fps for action??
on Nov 10, 2011 at 6:24:23 pm

There is going to be some give and take. 60 fps, is better, but it's lower resolution. Do a test shoot with both frame rates and compare footage. If you are doing a lot of slomo, then stick with 60 fps.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Chris Barnes
on Nov 10, 2011 at 6:26:58 pm

I am pretty capable of planning when and where I wanna do slomo stuff, so that being said. If I don't plan on any slomo, theoretically speaking, should the 1080x30fps keep up with the action as well as the 720x60fps?

Return to posts index

Colin McQuillan
on Nov 10, 2011 at 6:36:57 pm

[Chris Barnes] " If I don't plan on any slomo, theoretically speaking, should the 1080x30fps keep up with the action as well as the 720x60fps?"

For normal speed playback - yes, 1080p30 will like great. Shutter speed will have more effect on footage than FPS in this case. For a normal look shoot with a shutter of 60. For a hyper-real look crank it high (think Saving Private Ryan battle scenes), and dreamier/motion-blury crank it down.

Keep in mind your new go-pro HD2 should shoot 1080p60 giving you the best of both worlds: 1080 frame size, and 60fps in case you decide you want to slo-mo any of the resulting footage.

Colin McQuillan
Vancouver, B.C.

"Live, love, laugh and be happy."

Return to posts index

Chris Barnes
on Nov 10, 2011 at 6:40:51 pm

Actually the gopro will only shoot 30fps at 1080p. It will shoot 48fps at 960 max and 60fps at 720p.

Return to posts index

Chris Barnes
on Nov 10, 2011 at 6:43:22 pm

And now, if I decide to shoot some at 720x60fps and drop that into a 30fps timeline will it mix well?

Return to posts index

Colin McQuillan
on Nov 10, 2011 at 9:16:43 pm

[Chris Barnes] "shoot some at 720x60fps and drop that into a 30fps timeline will it mix well"

Depends on your final delivery. There will be some softening due to scaling, but if web or 720p is you final delivery is shouldn't impact quality.

As far as 60fps footage in a 30fps timeline - it will look fine. Most editing software basically just throws half the fames away so the footage renders 30fps in the timeline.

What software do you edit with?

Colin McQuillan
Vancouver, B.C.

Return to posts index

Colin McQuillan
on Nov 10, 2011 at 8:53:36 pm

[Chris Barnes] "Actually the gopro will only shoot 30fps at 1080p"

I stand corrected. I guess wishful thinking go the best of me.. (though I am surprised they didn't roll out this gen. with 60fps@1080)
http://gopro.com/product-comparison-hd-hero2-hd-hero-cameras/

Colin McQuillan
Vancouver, B.C.

Return to posts index

Chris Barnes
on Nov 10, 2011 at 10:18:51 pm

Yeah, I was surprised they didn't go with the 1080x60fps myself, but I guess they have to leave something to be desired...

Right now I have been filming everything 720x60fps, uploading, transcoding with mpegstreamclip and dropping into a 30fps timeline inside of vegas movie studio hd platinum 10.0

Most of my clips end up on the web and thats it, but I'd like the option of having the better resolution for burning dvd's as well. If I can film my full speed shots with 1080x30fps and the gopro at 1080x30fps and then plan for my slomo shots and film them at 720x60fps. Drop them all into a 30fps timeline and render it at 1080p then my only loss, will be a little bit during the slomo shots due to scaling, correct?

Return to posts index

Colin McQuillan
on Nov 11, 2011 at 6:26:34 pm

[Chris Barnes] "I have been filming everything 720x60fps"...
[Chris Barnes] " and dropping into a 30fps timeline inside of vegas movie studio"

I'm not a Vegas guy, but make sure it is handling your 60fps material correctly. In FCP (pre X) if you don't retime the footage to playback 30fps(50%slomo) before dropping into a timeline (either in Compressor or Cinema Tools) it basically throws half the frames away in timeline, and then blends the resulting 30 when you slo-mo to 50%, not re-introducing the addition frames of the original footage. Plenty of folks fall victim to this without realizing they are shooting 60fps for no benefit unless they treat the footage properly before bringing into the editing software.
I hope Vegas does this better!

Colin McQuillan
Vancouver, B.C.

Return to posts index

David Hill
on Jul 5, 2012 at 4:34:24 pm

Colin-can you expand a bit on this-the proper way to keep frames from being thrown away?

Return to posts index

Colin McQuillan
on Nov 11, 2011 at 6:36:39 pm

[Chris Barnes] "my only loss, will be a little bit during the slomo shots due to scaling, correct?"

Yes, just a little hit on the 720 footage scaled to 1080. For web and DVD I don't think you will notice much at all. I've used 720p60 GoPro shots in 1080i broadcast commercial projects as well and it stood up great.

Colin McQuillan
Vancouver, B.C.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]