FORUMS: list search recent posts

mixed footage 30p and 24p

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frank Giardina
mixed footage 30p and 24p
on Nov 6, 2011 at 6:07:56 pm

Hi...
I'm not exactly sure how and when it happened, but part of one of our camera operators 60D footage for an event was shot at 1920x1080 24p and some at 1920x1080 30p.

1) The camera operator did not go in the menu to make that change, that's a mystery. Any thoughts on how that might happen?

2) We don't know when the change occurred. Is there a way to check the raw footage to determine is it is 24p or 30p?

3) I've checked a little and there are ways to change 30p to 24p by bringing the 30p footage into a 30p time-line then, converting that sequence to 24p in film tools or after effects. Any best option suggestions would be great :)

Thanks All!

Frank Giardina
17 Video Production

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
Re: mixed footage 30p and 24p
on Nov 6, 2011 at 8:52:55 pm

[Frank Giardina] "Is there a way to check the raw footage to determine is it is 24p or 30p?"

If you have access to a windows machine try this one:

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

Great little freeware tool that gives you a lot of information about a videofile including which framerate it was shot in.

------------------------------------------
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot." - Buster Keaton

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Nov 7, 2011 at 12:21:44 am

Sorry I don't know how the camera might have done this, I believe it would take some action on the part of the camera operator because that would be a pretty major flaw if the camera just decided on its own to make a format change.

On a Mac using Final Cut Pro - all you do is make sure that the first clip you bring into the timeline is the format you want. Final Cut will ask you if you would like it to format your sequence settings to match the particulars of the clip you just moved onto the timeline, say yes. Now whenever you move another clip onto the timeline - FCP will automatically adjust it to match the settings of the first clip...in other words FCP natively handles mix formats so it's not really a problem at all.

Are you on a PC? I believe Premiere has a similar ability but I can't say for sure on that one.

Return to posts index

Frank Giardina
on Nov 7, 2011 at 1:12:28 am

Hi Steve...

I'm on a MAC using FCP7. When I tried that the footage seemed choppy. I'm doing some tests converting in Compressor. I'll see what happens and post my results.

Best Regards!

Frank Giardina
17 Video Production

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Nov 7, 2011 at 2:41:51 am

Oh you definitely want to convert the footage to ProRes before importing it into FCP - most people I know use the free MPEG Streamclip app to do the conversion, while it increases the file size quite a bit the videos are MUCH easier to edit than leaving them in their native H.264 format which most editing systems just choke on...probably why it looked choppy to you.

Return to posts index

Rob Manning
on Nov 7, 2011 at 8:00:50 pm

For those reading this thread who do not own Apple computers, the relevant mirror to ProRes is CineForm, arguably equal to ProRes and cross platform, workflow explanations are here:

http://techblog.cineform.com/?p=1284

HTH's

Rob

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]