FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video problems with T3i please assist

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
nick cruz
Video problems with T3i please assist
on Nov 3, 2011 at 4:01:37 pm

for some reason my videos are mostly coming out 16:9 and very seldom they come out the full lcd screen size..each video now has thin black bars running from left to right across the top and bottom...when i first got my T3i all my video was coming out full lcd screen size and i only record in 1080p 30fps..i searched my menu and i dont see an option to switch 16:9 on or off..am i missing something?

i would like all my video to be captured like this>>>

But recently they have been coming out in 16:9 like this>>>http://vimeo.com/31134209

both were recorded using same settings 1080p 30fps

please help..

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
Re: Video problems with T3i please assist
on Nov 4, 2011 at 11:35:04 pm

I'm not shure, if I understand your question correctly.

Do you refer to the *native* files out of the camera, are you referring to the *edited* videos or are you referring to the *uploaded* videos on vimeo?

Does the problem show up on the lcd-screen of your camera? How does your footage look like in your nle?

------------------------------------------
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot." - Buster Keaton

Return to posts index

nick cruz
on Nov 4, 2011 at 11:47:54 pm

hey thanks for responding...i was referring to the native files from my camera...before i even start transcoding for editing....it seems that most of the time they come out with the black bars on the top and bottom like the 2nd vimeo link i posted

i would like them to come straight from my camera with no black bars on the top or bottom like the 1st vimeo link i posted

my lcd shows the picture in full just like the 1st vimeo link..with no black bars...

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Nov 5, 2011 at 9:09:57 am

[nick cruz] "i was referring to the native files from my camera...before i even start transcoding for editing....it seems that most of the time they come out with the black bars"

[nick cruz] "my lcd shows the picture in full just like the 1st vimeo link..with no black bars..."

I see... When you play the native files with any media player (VLC, Quicktime, Windows Media Player or whatever...) on your computer do they show up correctly? If you put them in your NLE, what happens?

For me it seems, you have set the wrong pixel aspect ratio in your editing software - either in the project itself or the output module.

1080p video (at least with the canons) is always 1920 x 1080 with square pixels and therefore 16:9.

If the wrong PAR is set in your NLE, your NLE doesn't interpret your footage correctly or the output module has the wrong PAR, it can lead to stretched videos with black bars like the one you posted.

What OS and NLE are you working with?

Return to posts index

nick cruz
on Nov 5, 2011 at 3:04:43 pm

i have OSX 10.6 and i Use FCP 7

When i play the files back on vlc or quicktime after i transfer them from camera to cpu...most of the time the clips play with the black bars...before even importing them into FCP..

this is why i think the problem may be when i am actually using the camera to capture the footage..

how do i find what PAR setting? and what do you mean when you say "output module"?

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Nov 5, 2011 at 5:26:17 pm

I just double checked my H.264 camera raw footage and its 1080p with no black bars. So, I'd say, yes, there's something in your camera settings going wrong although I can't think of what it might be, I simply choose 1929x1080 24p in my Canon T2i and that does the trick for me,

In terms of the term "output module" all the meant was export settings either the export settings you are using in Final Cut Pro or even exporting out of the Quicktime player

Until you figure this out, increase the magnification/zoom of your clip in the Final Cut Pro motion tab will get rid of the black bars but I don't understand either why you have them in the first place.

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Nov 5, 2011 at 5:36:12 pm

[nick cruz] "When i play the files back on vlc or quicktime after i transfer them from camera to cpu...most of the time the clips play with the black bars"

This is indeed strange... What would be interesting to know is, if the black bars do exist as real pixels in the footage or if the black bars do only exist "virtually" and are created in your player and/or NLE.

If the black bars are "baked" in the footage by the camera, either there is indeed a camera-feature that I don't know of, or something is wrong with your camera and it needs maintenance.

Is there a way for you to upload a short native file somewhere, that shows the problem?

[nick cruz] "and what do you mean when you say "output module"?"

Some NLEs use special sub-programs like the "Media Encoder" with Premiere for rendering. That's what I meant with "output module"...

[nick cruz] "how do i find what PAR setting?"

Normally the PAR of your footage should be "square pixels", I don't know FCP good enough to guide you through, but there must be some feature to re-interpret footage and assign a PAR.
Maybe one of the FCP users can chime in...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]