FORUMS: list search recent posts

USB Follow Focus Device - what do you want?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jesse Warren
USB Follow Focus Device - what do you want?
on Nov 3, 2011 at 10:42:33 am

Hi everyone, I hope it's okay for me to ask this. Anyways, I'm working with a photographic company in China, and we are thinking of developing a USB FF device, and we want to know what people want.

A couple of ideas we have so far:

1) Focus-only device. Basically a wheel, with different sensitivity options (+ an automatic setting). Could also start and stop video recording. Very basic product with lowest cost, meant to replace cumbersome follow focus devices.

2) A Focus + exposure (ISO, shutter, speed, aperture) device. Much like the OKII, but with a small LCD showing settings, labeling of buttons, and better form factor.

3) A higher level device including a live view LCD.

What do you think about these ideas? Which kind of follow focus product would appeal to you the most? What would you like to see in such a product?

Thanks for your feedback!

Return to posts index

John Frey
Re: USB Follow Focus Device - what do you want?
on Nov 3, 2011 at 3:57:26 pm

All of these devices would be a huge help for DSLR shooters. Bring 'em on!

John D. Frey
25 Year owner/operator of two California-based production studios.

Digital West Video Productions of San Luis Obispo and Inland Images of Lake Elsinore

Return to posts index

Jesse Warren
on Nov 4, 2011 at 8:11:59 am

Do you have any comments on each one? Which would be most useful to you?

Return to posts index

Ronn Kilby
on Nov 4, 2011 at 6:14:44 pm

#1 for me would be most useful. Don't need the ISO or LCD stuff. Assuming you could (via camera's USB port) set focus points then go from a to b to c etc. Do you have a price point?

Return to posts index

Danny Grizzle
on Nov 6, 2011 at 8:39:39 pm

I've already got an OKII. The #2 option is most interesting to me.

#3 seems a bit overreaching. I've got a SmallHD, and Marshall monitors are highly regarded also. Monitoring is a different kettle of fish. If you try to do everything, chances are you won't get anything really right.

These devices are most interesting for people who have to operate a camera from a remote position. Like a crane or jib. In which case, there are other issues. I just purchased a Kessler Revolution head with Oracle Controller. This will be delivered middle of the week. If Kessler were to add OKII like functions to their pan/tilt controller, that would make for a more interesting device than USB follow focus combined with a monitor. But perhaps things are best as they are, because this gets to be too much for a single operator anyway, and separate controllers are best if working with an assistant.

Return to posts index

Ian Liuzzi-Fedun
on Mar 29, 2013 at 10:55:24 pm

I totally admit that I am piggybacking off this thread but there is no real forum for kessler stuff. Anyone who has the Revolution head notice that at, say, half the focal length of a camera you put on there, with a slow pan and tilt the image will step and not be smooth? I just want to see if this is my unit or what.

Return to posts index

Alex Campbell
on Nov 21, 2011 at 4:04:53 pm

I would like a 15mm mount video record button. That is all.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]