FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon mount lens you'd recommend for weddings.

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jorden Mosley
Canon mount lens you'd recommend for weddings.
on Oct 30, 2011 at 11:39:57 pm

I'm a video editor looking to venture to free-lance wedding videography and eventually film. I'm trying to determine a budget of how much to save for a camera and lens. I've decided to go with the t3i for the body (and install magic lantern to increase the ISO range). But the dilemma I'm facing is the lens.

As much a I love primes, I can definitely see how problematic they can be when trying to shoot a ceremony. But I know in the future I'll want to get some primes for corporate interviews and narrative work. So I'd like to get a good all-around zoom but not in the same range focal of length that I would for primes (cause that could be a waste of money in some respects).

The lens I was first looking at was a 15-50mm 2.8, good mid-range zoom but then why pick up a 30mm or 50mm prime is the only difference is the aperture range? Another option I was looking at was 70-200mm f4, but I'm concerned amount the low light performance prior to tinkering with the ISO. Then there is the version that is 70-200mm f2.8 but that almost twice as expensive as the other version (btw, all the of lenses I'm looking at are the IS versions).

So should I suck it up and save for the 70-200m f2.8? Should I be fine with the f4 version? Or should I get the 15-50mm, and still be justified in getting 30mm or 50mm primes later? Or maybe there is something else I haven't considered.

Return to posts index

Jorden Mosley
Re: Canon mount lens you'd recommend for weddings.
on Oct 31, 2011 at 6:27:09 am

Thank you Steve, that was very helpful! I'll get to looking at those articles now.

Return to posts index

Colin McQuillan
on Oct 31, 2011 at 8:19:21 pm

For event work you would be better served starting with some type of standard zoom.

For your camera I'd recommend either the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 or the 24-70 2.8L (I prefer the 24-70 as it is weather sealed and future-proof if you decide later to go full-frame) - then from there as need dictates add something like the Sigma 10-20mm 3.5 for the big wides and a 70-200 2.8L when you need more reach. Just try to go for constant aperture lens'. I personally don't go for image stabilized lens' as they usually come at the cost of f-stops, weight, or for fast IS lens' high prices. With DSLR's I recommend always shooting from a tripod, shoulder rig, steadycam... and if you do so it negates the need for IS.

Fast primes are great for interviews and other planned shots. I keep a 50 1.4 in my kit at all times. However they are not great for event work where you need the flexibility to adapt quickly to a changing environment.

Colin McQuillan
Vancouver, B.C.

"Live, love, laugh and be happy."

Return to posts index

Jorden Mosley
on Nov 1, 2011 at 12:49:08 am

With DSLR's I recommend always shooting from a tripod, shoulder rig, steadycam... and if you do so it negates the need for IS.

Wow. I'd expect that from tripods, but shoulder rigs and steady cam keep it stable enough? Are we talking self-made rigs or pre-built high priced ones?

Return to posts index

Colin McQuillan
on Nov 1, 2011 at 2:05:56 am

[Jorden Mosley] "I'd expect that from tripods, but shoulder rigs and steady cam keep it stable enough"

Well, not all at the same time ;-) Though i do stack my dolly slider on my tripod at times.

If you plan on roaming with your camera I'd recommend something like a Steadicam Merlin or Glidecam HD4000.
There are other brands and knockoffs that work just as well.

Shoulder rigs don't have to cost an arm and a leg either. You can go all out on a carbon/machined aluminum rig and spend a few $K or on the other spectrum you can find rigs for as cheap as a few hundred. The cheap ones aren't very well balanced and will be made out of heavier materials.

Colin McQuillan
Vancouver, B.C.

Return to posts index

Colin McQuillan
on Nov 1, 2011 at 2:34:58 am

You don't have to use other supports, but they do improve and expand upon the shots you take.

Another trick if you need to go handheld is to use your camera strap as a support. You just really don't want to freehold a DSLR.

Colin McQuillan
Vancouver, B.C.

Return to posts index

Jorden Mosley
on Nov 9, 2011 at 2:53:47 am

I've decided to get a 50mm equivalent for the t3i as my first lens. I'd your guys take on a few I'm looking at:

Sigma 30 1.4
Rokinon 35mm 1.4
Canon 28mm 1.8

I heard and read great things about the Sigma, but I'm concerned in investing in a lens that won't work on a full frame cameras (which waaaay down the line I plan on getting).

The Rokinon and Canon lens are full frame. But the canon 1.8 cost the most of the 3 and has less aperture range. With the Rokinon, I'm hard pressed to find much feedback of people using it for crop senor cameras for video.

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Nov 10, 2011 at 6:29:35 pm

Canon L-Series 24-70 2.8 is my first lens
50mm 1.4 next
70-200

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Jorden Mosley
on Nov 10, 2011 at 9:19:26 pm

Thanks for the suggestions Brent. Quick question about your lens: for the really low light stuff (like the Reception or dimly lit churches) do you find your zooms are able meet your needs or do you switch to your prime for those situations?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]