FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recent GH2 shoot using hacked firmware

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter J. DeCrescenzo
Recent GH2 shoot using hacked firmware
on Oct 29, 2011 at 7:48:23 am

Shot using Chris Brandin's 66 megabits/sec 1080p24 AVCHD settings for Vitaliy Kiselev's GH2 firmware hack. SDHC card: 8GB SanDisk Extreme Class 10 (30 MB/s). Chris' settings are available here:
http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/13792#Comment_13792

---

http://www.peterdv.com

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
Re: Recent GH2 shoot using hacked firmware
on Oct 29, 2011 at 10:40:34 am

Looks really good, Peter! I particularly like the shot of Mike Abbate on the parkway. I haven't tried any hacks yet, myself. So how much record time are you getting on an 8GB card?

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
on Oct 29, 2011 at 4:55:22 pm

Thanks, Jason.

Using Chris Brandon's 66mbs (VBR) setting, I'm getting about 15-min. of 1080p AVCHD per 8GB card.

As he explains elsewhere in that l-o-n-g thread, his 66mbs setting doesn't support clip spanning, so the GH2 won't record more than about 4GB per clip (about 7-9 min. or so). I believe his 32 or 44 mbs setting do span. For most work I do, I don't need to record continuously for more than a few minutes at a time. For example, it's easy to stop & start recording during a long interview, and in some ways I prefer it in post for clip management, etc.

The exterior shots of Mike, WIlliam & DeeAnn were shot using a 35-yr. old Nikon F-mount 55mm f1.2 (set at f2.8-f4) SLR lens, and with a Lee #1 white net filter in the matte box. The other interviews were shot using the Lumix 20mm f1.7 pancake, with & w/o the filter.

Some of the b-roll was shot about a year ago using my GH1 with an older version of the firmware hack installed. For example, the moving car shots of the Parkway. A stock GH2 performs better than a GH1 using that particular hack, but since then even the GH1 hack has improved enormously. Meanwhile, some of the b-roll shots, such as the close-up of the aerial tram, were shot with my hacked GH2 (mounted with a Lumix 100-300mm zoom lens).

---

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Oct 29, 2011 at 5:09:27 pm

Speaking of record times... I just got a 32GB Sandisk Extreme and did a record-time test with my GH2. The available time showed as 3hr03m when the card was empty, yet by the time the card filled up I had recorded 6hrs 55m 21s of video. Something doesn't add up! I was in 1080p '24H' mode. I can't figure out what's going on...

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Oct 29, 2011 at 5:54:43 pm

It's strange watching the elapsed time and the remaining time move at different rates, but I think I've got it solved. I was shooting a nearly static shot in my dark studio, so the GH2's encoder kicked the variable bit rate way down which is why I got nearly 7 hours of footage on a 32GB card. When I turned the lights up, the elapsed time and remaining time indicators started timing out equally. So, the remaining time indicated by the camera actually represents the minimum amount of record time that you could get (and will get in most situations). I hadn't realized just how variable the bit rate is!

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media

Return to posts index

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
on Oct 29, 2011 at 6:06:57 pm

And of course, a hacked GH2 records AVCHD the same way; e.g.: It's VBR, too.

For example, although an 8GB card will typically hold about 15-min. of 66mbs footage, if the recorded scene(s) are very relatively static, considerably longer record times are possible.

---

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]