FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is my lens breathing? or just in need of maintenance?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
Is my lens breathing? or just in need of maintenance?
on Oct 28, 2011 at 6:24:44 pm

I just attached a Nikkor (35mm f/2) via the Fotodiox Pro to a Canon 60D.

Focusing issue: when I rack back and forth, I see a shift in the image. It doesn't really look like breathing, but the image definitely shifts.

A necessary digression on "setting the lens": On a studio video camera, operators sometimes "set the zoom," i.e. they prepare for a zoom-in by setting to a little wider than they need, zooming in slightly; and then when the director takes their camera, they can zoom in smoothly because the zoom motor has already taken up the slack.

Back to the old Nikkor: when I "set the lens" on the Nikkor by very slightly starting the focus in the direction I will need to go, I see no image shift at all when I make a focus shift.

The question, at last: Do I have a Nikkor that "breathes," and therefore is unsuitable for critical video work (at least work that requires smooth rack-focusing)? Or do I have a Nikkor that needs a visit to a shop? And if the latter, where should I send it? I'm on the East Coast.

Thanks.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
Re: Is my lens breathing? or just in need of maintenance?
on Oct 29, 2011 at 5:43:59 am

[Bob Cole] "The question, at last: Do I have a Nikkor that "breathes," and therefore is unsuitable for critical video work (at least work that requires smooth rack-focusing)? Or do I have a Nikkor that needs a visit to a shop? And if the latter, where should I send it? I'm on the East Coast."

Welcome to the wonderful world of using photo lenses for video work!

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
Re: Is my lens breathing? or just in need of maintenance?
on Oct 29, 2011 at 11:58:48 am

Right on, Jason. I think I've already decided that of all my Nikkors, the only two I'm going to use are the special purpose ones (55mm Micro-Nikkor and an ED-400mm). I don't want to have to "focus" on another variable when I'm shooting.

I think I'll test a few Canon EOS lenses, knowing going in that there are all sorts of issues with the focus ring. I think a Zeiss is in my future. To tide me over until that ship comes in, what do you think of the 17-55mm Canon zoom?

And thanks for welcoming me to the club. I appreciate that!

Bob C

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]