FORUMS: list search recent posts

T2i w/ f1.8 prime lens imovie problem. video inside.

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Dunbar
T2i w/ f1.8 prime lens imovie problem. video inside.
on Oct 28, 2011 at 2:13:07 am

Alright, i have a canon t2i and all the shorts i've made so far seem to be of terrible quality when i upload them to youtube/vimeo. When i say quality, i don't mean lighting/focus/color, i mean the sharpness and fluidity.
I edit movies just on imovie 09 and i just recently found out that imovie doesn't like dslr format. I am curious if there is anything i can do to stop the jagged, horizontal lines in the footage (is it because its interlaced?) and the choppiness.
I upload footage to Imovie in full and export in full hd. I recently tried to follow this tutorial for better quality with no prevailng luck. http://www.davidglover.org/2009/03/creating-hd-video-with-imovie-09.html

Here is the footage after i followed the steps (shot at 24 fps)

Would i get better results editing in FCP? without having to deinterlace or do any weird rendering?

Thank you so much for any helpful insight!

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: T2i w/ f1.8 prime lens imovie problem. video inside.
on Oct 28, 2011 at 3:45:39 am

The T2i films in progressive mode using H.264 codec inside a quicktime wrapper (.mov)

I am notsurprised to hear that imovie doesnt like h.264 encoded video - the computer has to work too hard to edit video in that format so before importting into imovie re encode it to something like Apple Intermediate Codec or AIC

Return to posts index

John Dunbar
on Oct 28, 2011 at 4:47:33 pm

so if i re encode it with MPEG Streamclip to AIC and then import it may be higher quality? are there any other parameters on Streamclip besides changing it to AIC that I should also change?

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Oct 28, 2011 at 5:11:05 pm

A couple of points but first let me answer your question:

* In MPEG Streamclip there is an option called "Interlaced Scaling," DESELECT that, also there's an option to "deinterlace video", DESELECT that one too, the video is already non-interlaced

* Move the quality slider all the way to 100% and that's it unless you want to select a different size

Now it occurs to me all this may be somewhat off the point...does your existing footage look good when it is exported out of iMovie?

If the answer is yes, then the issue probably has more to do with Vimeo and how it encodes (as well as your export settings).

The Vimeo help pages list settings that they say work best for their service and they even have links to help videos with instructions for encoding for Vimeo using MPEG Streamclip and other software.

Encoding video for Vimeo display is a whole huge topic that I am not an expert at but they have community forums to ask questions in - normally the moderators say just follow their encoding instructions but that is not always the complete answer.

By the way, Vimeo says you should encode using H.264, don't get confused...all I meant in my first response to you was that you shouldn't EDIT your movie in iMovie with the video in H.264 format, instead you EDIT in something like AIC and then EXPORT your video out for viewing/Vimeo in H.264 format.

Sorry if my quick response led you astray in any way!

Return to posts index

John Dunbar
on Oct 30, 2011 at 11:40:21 pm

Well actually when i edit the footage in imovie it is perfect quality and it doesn't get choppy or stutter. I suppose it would have helped if i would have mentioned originally that the footage looks good in imovie, but then when its exported, Vimeo and Youtube, It isn't at all the quality i was anticipating. Thank you for trying to help me out on this because i have tried deliberately at changing up the ways i import/export with no proper outcome.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]