FORUMS: list search recent posts

Combining Nikon d7000 Video with 1080 Video

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Herz
Combining Nikon d7000 Video with 1080 Video
on Oct 27, 2011 at 5:00:27 pm

I am yet another long-time video production guy trying to figure out the age-old question whether to go with Canon or Nikon DSLR camera. I am a video professional who also does a bit of still photography - I would say 85% video to 15% still photography. I am a long-time Nikon guy and have some nice Nikon lenses...so I am definitely leaning heavily towards the Nikon d7000. The only factor that is making me hesitate is that the d7000 only shoots in 1080p 24. I would see using a DSLR frequently as a second video camera...and I would probably want to combine the footage with video shot on my main camera, which is a Sony Z7, which only shoots in 1080...and not 720.
So...my question for you DSLR experts is this:
If I purchased a d7000, which format setting if any, would combine most easily with 1080i 60 or 1080p 30 video shot on my sony camcorder?
And lastly...how much time and work would it require to transcode the DSLR video to work with my 1080 video?
I just don't want to purchase the wrong camera for what I need and create rendering hell for myself.
Lastly, I edit with FCP 7.0.3
Thanks

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
Re: Combining Nikon d7000 Video with 1080 Video
on Oct 27, 2011 at 7:08:00 pm

[Dan Herz] "I am yet another long-time video production guy trying to figure out the age-old question whether to go with Canon or Nikon DSLR camera."

Don't overlook the mind-blowing Panasonic GH2. It will shoot in 1080i, but the 24p is so sweet it would be a shame not to use it.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Dan Herz
on Oct 28, 2011 at 1:20:32 am

I actually never knew that Panasonic made a DSLR camera. Can you tell me more about it? Do Nikon lenses fit on it? I will poke around on line, but anything you can tell me would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Oct 28, 2011 at 2:09:13 am

[Dan Herz] "I actually never knew that Panasonic made a DSLR camera. Can you tell me more about it? Do Nikon lenses fit on it?"

Technically, the Panasonic GH2 is not a DSLR. Since it has no mirror, it's an EVIL camera. (Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable Lens). This, and the 4/3 sensor make for a more compact camera. I bought a Voigtlander micro 4/3's to F adapter so I can easily use my Nikon lenses. The sensor size affects your field of view, so with the GH2 a 50mm lens will look more like a 100mm lens. Some of the great features are; swivel lcd screen, mic input, onscreen audio meters and histogram while recording, no moire, no record time limit, no overheating. There a ton of good samples online, but here is a couple of things I've shot with the GH2:

Dr. Lichtenstein Bio

The 'Tips Come With It

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Rob Manning
on Oct 29, 2011 at 4:40:46 am

Hi,

The Nikon glass is worth hanging on to the brand.

Given the work arounds with HDslr shooting, such as off camera audio, follow focus, Fader ND,s, mattes and so on it's still a good bet to manage the process with (Nikon) for a couple of reasons.

The capture time on the 16mp formats, is 20 minutes, versus the heat switch of Canon's shutting down at 12 minutes, not an issue for scripted work but possibly in other genres.

As for the ISO, none of the HDslr's shoot at native beyond 6400, with the sole exception of the D3S, however it shoots old .mov files, and not h.264, and only at 720.

The newer prosumer Nikon D5100 shoots as follows:
HD 1,920x1,080 / 30 fps
HD 1,920×1,080 / 24 fps
HD 1,280×720 / 30 fps
HD 1,280×720 / 24 fps
VGA 640×424 / 30 fps

So it may not be as robust as the D7K, but given the scope of your effort, it is a possible alternative in this case.

I own the D3S and the D7K (two) and so far, short of say the Sony NEX FS 100, which has interchangeable lens' with the new Sony still/HD cameras (Sony makes the sensors for Nikon and Canon) then it's a compromise for vidic or filmic look.

I'm a filmic fan so 24 fps is my choice.

Canon has the new 1DX on the way, (29 minutes of record time) body at around $6,800 US, which appears to be a Sony must beat Nikon's D3S chip at all costs version for full frame, low light (HDslr full frame, aka Vista Vision lateral format). Nikon has the supposed to hit next year, D4 full frame which is likely another step in the pixel wars to counterbalance Canon.

Canon has the time-code burn in on the 1DX, and some other cool buzzies but one of my associates who has shot with them all, and is key camera on a worldwide ongoing basis for a public speaker, has jettisoned his Canons and Nikons, to grab as mentioned the Sonys above for his private practice. (They use RED on the circuit)

He was not impressed enough with the 1DX's specs to change his mind.

I'll pick his brain next week when we head to Creatasphere in Burbank, on the ride down.

Return to posts index

Dan Herz
on Nov 5, 2011 at 11:13:20 pm

Hey Rob, thanks for the response and all the good info. It seems the more I research this subject, the more options I discover and the more confused I become. I was leaning heavily towards the Panasonic GH2, but I just read about the new Nikon V1. I guess it is so new that there are no reviews yet, but what I am hearing and reading sounds pretty impressive. Do you know anything about the new Nikons?
Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]