FORUMS: list search recent posts

darker image after converting to AppleProRes 422

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pedro de la Fuente
darker image after converting to AppleProRes 422
on Mar 4, 2010 at 2:49:46 pm

I would really appreciate some light into this issue. After converting the footage from a Canon 7D into AppleProRes 422 or HQ my clips are darker than the original H264 clips. Although I can bring everything up with grading I wonder if I loose some important luma and color information during conversion. In Apple Color the Luma waveform doesnt seems to be affected only just a few notches darker but I would still love to know why this happens.

Ive being converting clips with Compressor and MPGStreamclip and the same happened.

All the best,
P

http://www.pedrodelafuente.com

Return to posts index

Ryan Orr
Re: darker image after converting to AppleProRes 422
on Mar 4, 2010 at 9:49:17 pm

Don't know who you are Pedro or how your setup is like, so I certainly don't want to be "insulting" or anything, but have you calibrated your monitors recently?

My setup consists of two lcd computer monitors and one 1080p consumer television (not idea, but it gets me through) connected to my I/O. Every so often, maybe a month at a time, I'll go through each of them and calibrate them just to be sure everything is gravy.

Not knowing of any 7D-to-ProRes 422 issues like the one you're asking about, my only thought is that maybe your monitors are at different luminance settings.

Good Luck!
Ryan

Return to posts index

Pedro de la Fuente
on Mar 4, 2010 at 9:58:58 pm

Actually the issue is happening when comparing the clip on the same monitor. Could that ve still some problem with calibration of monitors?? After reviewing the original H264 and comparing with the AppleProRes file i noticed that the newly created file was darker. All being veiwed on my MacBook pro monitor

Return to posts index

Ryan Orr
on Mar 4, 2010 at 11:08:31 pm

Okay, then I can saftely say that what I said would be irrelavent.

Sorry Pedro, I'm not too sure what could be the issue.

Good Luck,
Ryan

Return to posts index

Jim Blokland
on Mar 5, 2010 at 12:59:53 am

I've noticed the same thing. I suspect there's some kind of gamma difference between the 2 codecs, and I was waiting to see if the ingest tool Canon is bringing to FCP would clear this up or perpetuate it. The concern, of course, is are you losing any detail in the conversion process.

Best, JIM

OSX.5.6
Dual 2.7 G5
5.5 GB RAM
Radeon X800 XT
Kona 2 / K-Box
Seritek 1.5 TB RAID
AVID XPRESS PRO/MOJO

Return to posts index

simon bergman Vázquez
on Dec 11, 2010 at 2:46:24 am

Hello Im adressing the same problem. When exporting to AppleRes Pro LT, the image gets darker.
Even when i export in ProRes HQ, its the same ammount of luma that is lost. On images that are well exposed it increases the contrast giving you a richer image, but when the material is underexposed its a huge problem.

Its a fact that it happens. Im using MPEG streamclip. Will try Commpresor to se if i can notice any difference.

Regards
Simon

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]