FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recording video using viewfinder on T2i

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mario Gongora
Recording video using viewfinder on T2i
on Mar 4, 2010 at 1:57:56 pm

Hi, does anybody know if there is a way to shoot video using the viewfinder and not the external monitor on the T2i? I know there are options like the hoodman and Zacuto eyepieces, but I'm trying to avoid the extra expense for now.
Thanks!
Mario.

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
Re: Recording video using viewfinder on T2i
on Mar 4, 2010 at 3:51:27 pm

NOPE... cameras don't work that way (and focussing would be even MORE impossible using the viewfinder)

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

Ryan Orr
on Mar 4, 2010 at 5:52:44 pm

The inherent nature of DSLR's won't allow the viewfinder to be used.

The way the mirrors/shutter inside work like this. For photos, when you're looking inside the viewfinder, you're basically looking in a mirror that's "closed" over the sensor. When you take a snap, the mirror opens to allow light enter the sensor, but at the same time, it blocks the viewfinder from seeing anything. Depending on your shutter speed, that could be a very quick or a very long opening for light. If you're daring, adjust the shutter to open for a few seconds. Take the lens off, take a click, and watch how the mirror disappears and what you are seeing is the sensor. I don't endorse doing this multiple times or having the shutter open for more then a few seconds. This could damage the sensor a bit, especially if you have bright lights in the room. Not going to be my fault if something breaks :)

That's with photos. Video it's a different thing. When you're in video mode, the mirror/shutter is opened the whole time, thus blocking the viewfinder. When you are dialing in shutter speed, you are actually adjusting the frequency the sensor turns off and on (not exactly, but more or less that's how it's done).

So with these HD-DSLRs, it's either looking at the screen, or an external monitor.

Sorry my friend, but that's how the world turns!

Good Luck,
Ryan~

Return to posts index

clyde villegas
on Jan 10, 2011 at 9:50:24 am

I don't have any of these video DSLRs so I'm just wondering if this is possible.

Looking through the camera's viewfinder, is it possible to press the shutter-release button halfway in still mode just to focus the camera, then shift to video mode to shoot video using that focus setting? Of course, this is only for subjects that will have a fixed distance from the camera.

ut in omnibus glorificetur Deus

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]