FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shooting in 60fps vs 24fps

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Saffan
Shooting in 60fps vs 24fps
on Oct 13, 2011 at 1:42:57 pm

Hey all,

I'm new to these forums and the DSLR world in general so sorry if I repost something thats been gone over before (though I searched pretty hard for answers before posting).

I shot a 15 minute film for my documentary film making class all in 60fps on my canon 7d. It looks fantastic and is very smooth. However now that I am finished with it it is virtually useless to me:

-It is a HUGE file.
-I cannot find a place to post it online without DESTROYING the quality.
-When compressing it the quality also decreases significantly to a point much lower than if I shot it at a lower framerate, not to mention audio drifting.
-The only thing I can really do with it is put it on HD DVDs.

After all that I am wondering if it is worth shooting ANYTHING (except slow motion) in higher than 30fps or is there something I'm missing to get my short film online without sacrificing it's quality to a very high degree? Did I miss something in post?

Any advice would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks

-Mike

Return to posts index

John Young
Re: Shooting in 60fps vs 24fps
on Oct 13, 2011 at 4:40:17 pm

[Michael Saffan] "After all that I am wondering if it is worth shooting ANYTHING (except slow motion) in higher than 30fps or is there something I'm missing to get my short film online without sacrificing it's quality to a very high degree? Did I miss something in post?"

Yes. You are. The reason your file is huge has much more to do with the codec, resolution, and bitrate than the frames per second.

Give us some more information so we can help you out. Exactly how are you exporting your file?

http://www.johnathanyoung.com

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Oct 14, 2011 at 4:49:57 pm

All high quality videos and feature films for that matter are of HUGE sizes. This is normal. "Useless" is a bit dramatic.

You have to learn the art of compression. You can achieve high quality video optimized for web playback. Many, many people do this almost daily.
You frame rate choice has nothing to do with it.

Try exporting you finished piece using "current Settings" (Using FCP?)
Make it self contained if you want a digital master to keep forever.

Take that file into your compression program to create your deliverable.

This can be SD-DVD, Bluray (HD DVD is dead btw) or web video.

Try using the youtube guide-lines for HD video to get you started:

1280x720
30p
.h264
.mov
3000 bitrate as a starting point, I don't know how long your vid is...

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Owen Wexler
on Oct 16, 2011 at 12:00:35 am

Your footage is probably ok, following the compression guidelines above is a pretty good start.

Although personally, I find shooting 60FPS to be impractical unless you are shooting sports, or you intend to slow your footage down later. If you are shooting a movie, episodic TV, any kind of narrative, most commercials or music videos, etc., then shoot 24FPS, if you are shooting a non-episodic TV show (the news, reality TV, soap operas etc.) shoot 30FPS... those framerates will help give you the "look" that people expect to see for those respective types of video.

Cinematographer - Editor - Motion Graphics Artist - Colorist

http://www.owenbwexler.com

Return to posts index

Michael Saffan
on Oct 17, 2011 at 1:45:16 pm

Thanks for all the advice and perhaps I was being a bit dramatic by saying it was useless. I tried a lot of different compressions before posting, though I will try the compression tips Chris has made exactly today....

I will post again on this thread if I continue to run in to problems.

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Alex Campbell
on Oct 19, 2011 at 9:35:52 pm

I use Premiere and the program allows you to have a 24 FPS timeline, which keeps the file size down while using whatever footage you want. Unlike FCP, you do not have to conform your footage before bringing it in. I like to shoot 60P and edit in a 30P timeline, allowing a smooth 50% slow down of my footage.

Return to posts index

John Young
on Oct 20, 2011 at 3:57:21 pm

[Alex Campbell] "I use Premiere and the program allows you to have a 24 FPS timeline, which keeps the file size down while using whatever footage you want."

Let's say it again, frames per second is NOT a contributor to large file sizes. For almost all situations you want to have a timeline that matches the attributes of your source footage. If you need to change attributes, do it on the export. (Slo-motion effects are one of those odd situations where your timeline will not have the same attributes as your source footage)

John

http://www.johnathanyoung.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]