COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian Clark
XLR Sound for 7D?
on Mar 3, 2010 at 7:31:13 pm

Juicedlink cx231

or...

Beachtek DXA-5da

Seeking feedback from anyone who uses/prefers one or the other for sound. The bulk of my projects in the coming months will be for personal, creative work. Small crew numbers/little-to-no budget--- collaborative projects with friends mostly. Occasionally some regional commercial work but in those cases I'll be most often acting as a one-man-band.

Recording sound separately is obviously ideal, but in most cases that won't be an option I'm afforded.

Thanks for the feedback-

IAN CLARK | http://www.incproductions.org

Return to posts index

Robbie Carman
Re: XLR Sound for 7D?
on Mar 3, 2010 at 9:23:48 pm

In my opinion (although shared by many) is the JuicedLinked has much quieter pre-amps. I've owed the beachtek sold it and just recently got a juicedlinked. Much better in my opinion

You might also consider a dedicated digital audio recorder like the Zoom H4n

Robbie Carman
----------------
Colorist and Author
Check out my new Books:
Video Made on a Mac
Apple Pro Training Series DVDSP
From Still To Motion

Return to posts index

Ian Clark
on Mar 3, 2010 at 9:40:23 pm

Thanks for your input, Robbie. My only concern is that the cx231 doesn't have a switch to disable the auto-AGC on the camera. I called Juicedlink this morning and a fellow told me that I could purchase an accessory called the dn101 that sends a sound signal into the camera that raises a red flag in the camera. If I heard him correctly, this in turn forces the audio all into the L channel, which then in FCP I can set the pan to the center and it will thus be equalized.

My thought is, for ease, why not just use the Beachtek that has the AGC disable switch to avoid these extra steps? Back to Juicedlink's quieter pre-amp, I suppose.

Thanks-

IAN CLARK | http://www.incproductions.org

Return to posts index

Robbie Carman
on Mar 6, 2010 at 12:53:54 am

yeah thats what I went with. The noisy beachtek drove me crazy. To be honest I've gone the route of dual system with the Zoom H4N. Using Plural Eyes in FCP its a piece of cake to get things synced up

Robbie Carman
----------------
Colorist and Author
Check out my new Books:
Video Made on a Mac
Apple Pro Training Series DVDSP
From Still To Motion

Return to posts index

Dieter Depypere
on Mar 7, 2010 at 12:13:23 pm

Are you talking about the Beachtek DXA-DSLR, because that device has an AGC killer? The Juiced Link DN101 looks bulky and therefore unhandy to me. I still have to decide upon which system to buy for documentary shoots in tough conditions. I need a flawless DSLR @ sound kit to cover a place where none of my broadcast cameras are allowed. A DSLR is still considered a stills photography cam, so...

thirdeyed gcv - Dieter Depypere

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Mar 8, 2010 at 7:58:18 pm

I agree, I prefer using the Zoom H4/H4n. Magic Lantern is supposed to allow you to shut off AGC, but I'm on a 7D and I've been very happy with the Zoom H4n prior to using DSLRs.

Jonathan Ziegler
http://www.electrictiger.com/
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]