FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quick Zoom H4N and Canon 7D question

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Leon Klein
Quick Zoom H4N and Canon 7D question
on Oct 10, 2011 at 1:17:42 am

Hello

I plugged the Zoom H4N into the 7D using the mini plug jack and recorded the audio both directly into the 7D and into the Zoom H4N.
when checking the levels of the audio in the editing software I get to completely different levels.
the one from the 7D has a lot of ambient noise, the H4N es clearer.

Shouldn't i be getting the same exact audio and levels from both since they are both from the H4N?

whats the best way to avoid having to sync later?

Thank you very much!
Leon

leok

Return to posts index

Colin McQuillan
Re: Quick Zoom H4N and Canon 7D question
on Oct 10, 2011 at 2:10:05 am

The 7D is auto-gain all the time. It doesn't matter what you plug into it - whenever things get quiet it will boost the audio gain to get a level.

With the 7D there is currently no way to disable this in camera. There are some devices that fool the camera's auto gain by feeding a constant tone to one channel and the mic to the other.

Colin McQuillan
Vancouver, B.C.

"Live, love, laugh and be happy."

Return to posts index

Colin McQuillan
on Oct 10, 2011 at 2:31:27 am

[Leon Klein] "whats the best way to avoid having to sync later?"

Unless you are OK with the auto-gain ugliness of the onboard camera input there is no way to 'avoid' post syncing - but there are ways to make the process less painful.

The way you are going now with the output of the H4N into the camera should give you a very similar waveform and make syncing very easy by sight.
Slate with a clap is a good way to go.
Pluraleyes / Dualeyes is decent product - and again - with the h4n feeding the camera as well I would imagine the accuracy would be spot on.

Colin McQuillan
Vancouver, B.C.

"Live, love, laugh and be happy."

Return to posts index

Phil Balsdon
on Oct 12, 2011 at 9:34:39 am

Even if you achieved getting all the levels etc sorted in the camera the quality of the audio recorded on a Zoom H4 or Tascam DR-100 will always be better than on the Canon HDSLR. The audio technology, (pre amps etc) in these cameras is not up to the standards of these digital audio recording devices.

Use PluralEyes to post sync, it's very quick and easy to use. Alternatively a film style or iPad / iPhone slate app and sync manually.

Sync all your audio before editing.

A Beachtek DXA-DSLR tricks the auto gain of the Canon 7D by feeding an inaudible tone to the camera track 1 causing the audio record level to remain constant.

Cinematographer, Steadicam Operator, Final Cut Pro Post Production.
http://philming.com.au
http://www.steadi-onfilms.com.au/

Return to posts index

Leon Klein
on Oct 12, 2011 at 3:29:09 pm

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

leok

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]