FORUMS: list search recent posts

Balancing LED Lights with fluorescent

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Shand
Balancing LED Lights with fluorescent
on Oct 9, 2011 at 9:07:28 pm

Hi guys not sure if this is the right place to post but I'm using a DSLR

I had a bit of a problem today i was in a situation where i was shooting in a fluorescent lit room but it was still too dim so i used my new LED light-panels.

My issue was that i couldn't balance them correctly. Either the face would look wrong or the LED would show up blue.

Can anyone give me any info on how to tackle this issue

Thanks for you time.

John

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Balancing LED Lights with fluorescent
on Oct 9, 2011 at 11:15:14 pm

I've never encountered this myself but I guess one thing you could try next time is to turn off all the overheads and just see if you can light with your LED's - failing that you have to use gels to make your LEDs more fluorescent like (green?) so that they match better.

In theory you could also replace the fluorescent tubes with ones that more closely match your LED's color temperature but that seems like a pretty extreme solution if you are not prepared for it.

A question for you - was the color problem apparent in your DSLRs LCD? I would think it would be hard to detect unless you zoomed in or were using something like a loupe to magnify the image on the camera's LCD screen.

How you fix this in editing now is something I don't know offhand so I will pay attention to this thread to learn with you...good question!

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Oct 10, 2011 at 9:51:56 am

[Steve Crow] " I've never encountered this myself but I guess one thing you could try next time is to turn off all the overheads and just see if you can light with your LED's - failing that you have to use gels to make your LEDs more fluorescent like (green?) so that they match better."

Turning off the overheads is a good idea. I typically add some minus-green gel to my LED's to make skin tone look good.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

John Shand
on Oct 10, 2011 at 12:30:39 pm

Thanks for the quick response.
I did find this which pretty much said the same as you Jason.
http://photo.net/photography-lighting-equipment-techniques-forum/00DNvG

A solution i might try is white balance my subject to get correct skin tones. Then mask the background which has incorrect colours and adjust them separately. As its a sit down interview masking shouldn't be too difficult.

I suppose the only lesson is to invest in some gels.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Oct 10, 2011 at 5:17:43 pm

Yeah, the big boys in lighting, such as High Output, carry both sheet gels and tubular gels which either go over the face of the fluorescent fixture, or sleeve each bulb individually.

When they do a shoot, these are all billed as expendables, so in some cases they just leave them in place when they're done, especially if the shoot goes late.

Here's a link to a tube gel supplier to give you an idea of what you're in for. Sometimes the sheet gels are faster to set up, depending on the number of fixtures:

http://www.internetapollo.com/Products/Group/Gel+Tubes.aspx

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]