FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Frame Rate/ size

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tim vanbrackle
Best Frame Rate/ size
on Oct 6, 2011 at 7:50:47 pm

Need to shoot a logo. I am using a Canon 7d and want to shoot it at 60 frames per second so i can catch alot of detail (glass shattering etc) and slow it down/ speed.

The problem is that i am going to insert it into a sequence in premiere that is 1920 x 1080 and 23.94 fps. I am not sure how premiere will interpret the footage of the 60 frames per second, (will i lose the detail when it interprets)

Can someone tell me which movie recording size would be best? ( the 7d doesn't offer 60 fps at 1920 x 1080: only:)
1920 x 1080 30fps
1920 x 1080 fps
1280 x 720 at 60 fps
640 x 480 at 60 fps

Any recommmendations/ ideas you can throw at me would be a great help! Thanks

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
Re: Best Frame Rate/ size
on Oct 6, 2011 at 9:11:57 pm

We are PAL only and shoot at 25fps 1920 x 1080p Setting Tv @ 1/50 sec shutter mainly and -1 Exposure compensation , no loss of quality and smooth video. In Premiere Pro or Sony Vegas it comes up as 50i, there are no issues. On a 5D Mark II should be roughly the same as 7D ?>

Good luck!

PS., Could be slower, but, watch overexposure, of course ?

Freelance Imaging & Video
AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Oct 7, 2011 at 3:35:51 am

Shoot at 720p 60 for the slow motion, then upscale it to 1080. The Canon DSLRS only resolve an actual 700ish lines of resolution anyway, so there won't be any noticeable difference when you upscale, especially if you go through AE first and use Instant HD from Red Giant. But even if you just drop it in Premiere's timeline and upscale it using the "Motion" effect to fit the 1080 frame, I doubt you'll see much difference.

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Oct 7, 2011 at 7:32:23 am

[Gary Huff] "The Canon DSLRS only resolve an actual 700ish lines of resolution anyway, so there won't be any noticeable difference when you upscale, especially if you go through AE first and use Instant HD from Red Giant."

I agree with the AE and "Instant HD" step and your statement, that the Canons achive more of a 700ish resolution in 1080p mode. Instant HD is a fantatsic plugin and creates fabulous results.

But I want to throw in, that when shooting 720p, aliasing and moiré will be considerably higher. So picture quality will definitly be worse in 720p mode.
Of course it's a choice you'd have to make for yourself, if picture quality will be good enough for what you're aiming for.
I did some tests some time ago and for my projects I try to avoid the 720p mode whenever possible.
One thing you could try is the Twixtor plugin for slomos. There's a demo-version available on the Re:Vision site.

------------------------------------------
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot." - Buster Keaton

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Oct 7, 2011 at 1:11:32 pm

Twixtor's an OK solution, but has the best results when you don't view it full screen. More often than not, I can see the warping in the picture when viewing it in a larger window than just the default size on Vimeo/YouTube/ect.

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Oct 7, 2011 at 8:55:41 pm

[Gary Huff] "More often than not, I can see the warping in the picture when viewing it in a larger window than just the default size on Vimeo/YouTube/ect."

That's right. Those warping artifacts are disturbing. What helps a bit is to shoot with higher shutterspeeds and shooting against a plain or defocussed background if you want to use Twixtor or any other slomo plugin. This reduces the interpolation effects a bit. But as you wrote, Gary, it's more like an "OK solution" and nothing like real high-speed recording.

------------------------------------------
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot." - Buster Keaton

Return to posts index

tim vanbrackle
on Oct 9, 2011 at 7:36:34 am

Thanks for the info Bob Gary and Peter, very helpful!!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]