FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multiple DSLR live shoot?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
john orourke
Multiple DSLR live shoot?
on Sep 30, 2011 at 1:05:29 am

Would it be possible to have a live four dslr shoot?
Im in highschool and we have a tv station, so it would be a/v out to video cable splitter one end into video monitor (because in camera monitor is turned off when a/v out is in use), then video cable from one end of the splitter to video cable to switcher/ preview monitors in tv studio. Yeah i know that video quality will be knocked down to 640/480 at the best but the switcher that my studio has isn't hd anyways and we usualy shoot in 360p for live events.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Multiple DSLR live shoot?
on Sep 30, 2011 at 1:27:50 am

Depends on the camera- some have pretty decent HDMI some don't.

Noah

Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Sep 30, 2011 at 2:33:12 am

Hey I LOVE filming with DSLRs but I think you may be creating a big challenge for yourself. In this case I'd go with standard camcorders - particularly since it doesn't sound like you need HD or shallow depth of field. You didn't say how long the event is you want to film but DSLRs are not that great for capturing live events like speeches, plays, or even live music although it CAN be done.

DSLRs are not designed to film "long" segments - 12 minutes in a single "clip" is all you will get AND if you keep filming and filming overheating becomes a problem - DSLRs are best when you can stop and start to give the camera time to cool down.

I assume you already have a separate audio solution in place but as you know - DSLRs have terrible built-in mics so you have to use something else - best of luck to you - if you go with the DSLRs post back and tell us how it went for you!

Return to posts index

Rob Manning
on Sep 30, 2011 at 8:29:04 am

As mentioned, using a camcorder set up might be easier to manage.

DSLR's can be used for separate cameras, but, it seems you are relying on the three wire cable (L/R analog audio, Coax 75ohm video) and not the HDMI correct? Hence low rez, as you allude.

Does the school already have the cameras?

If so that answers the question, however, unless these are say, Nikon D7000 models, you will have the issues of 12 minute takes, the Nikons shoot for 20 minutes but that's not really the point.

One can overlap shots from angles to compensate for the heat trip switch, or use Nikons which do not have that issue, by turning off the shot and restarting before the trip goes off, coordinated by comm sets.

Using separate DSLR's would require on camera audio, and a clap slate, or, a signal in the headsets to have everyone state the actual time like they do in the war movies, something to synch too later with audio captured with a stand alone recorder. "OK on three everyone tap the camera body twice" or something like that.

Also, especially for night work, the lenses for DSLR's are going to be of some importance, getting by with an f3.5 or higher, is going to be tricky unless the lighting is steady and the cameras are not panning. Otherwise, you will need to use f1.4, 1.6, 1.8, 2.0 or 2.8 lenses, which still present challenges, the lower f stop the better.

Frame rate and ISO, will also be key, but all of it can be worked out ahead of time. The Nikon only shoots at 24fps, @ 1080 so set the frame rate at 50 (twice the frame per second 48 technically) it's an inverse rule from the film days in digital. Canons have multiple frame rates to use.

Ultimately, using a camcorder set up, will likely be easier all the way round, unless as I mentioned, the school already has DSLR's with video on-board, then it's a limit on ISO, some max at 3200 others at 6400, or above (Nikon's D3S is 12,800). You'll likely be shooting at around 800 if lights are bright, lower otherwise.

I'm sure you will work something out, good luck!

Rob

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]