FORUMS: list search recent posts

Question about lenses & Depth of field

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Reed
Question about lenses & Depth of field
on Sep 27, 2011 at 5:05:35 am

I'm planning on getting a nice DSLR camera pretty soon and I would like to educate myself on lenses and depth of field. Are there any good tutorials out there that might help me? I want to know as much as possible about what kind of look different angles and distances will help create and which lenses are more worth my time than others.

Thanks for any help! Much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
Re: Question about lenses & Depth of field
on Sep 27, 2011 at 11:00:45 am

Maybe want to take a look at these:

http://library.creativecow.net/harrington_richard/DSLR-Aperture/1
http://library.creativecow.net/harrington_richard/DSLR-Zooms-vs-Primes/1

------------------------------------------
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot." - Buster Keaton

Return to posts index

Jeremy Reed
on Sep 27, 2011 at 8:14:41 pm

Thanks

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Oct 1, 2011 at 2:21:26 am

Just keep in mind that when someone shows you a clip and says that was filmed on a 50mm lens you have to know what kind of sensor/camera the lens was used with...the reason is something called the sensor's "crop factor" but maybe it should be called something more like magnifier, or multiplier.

My Canon T2i uses an APS-C sized sensor which has a 1.6 crop factor. So if I attach a 50mm lens to my T2i - the image I get will look more like a 80mm - much more zoomed in. That is when compared to a camera with a "full frame" sensor - something like the Canon 5DMII. How do I fix this? I step back a few steps...my manual dolly.

Another example, photographers say an 80mm lens is just about perfect for portraits but if I were to put an 80mm lens on my Canon T2i what I would effectively be getting is an image that looks more like a 128mm - so significantly closer in. (80 x 1.6=128)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]