FORUMS: list search recent posts

T2i Overheating Tips?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Harold Eastman
T2i Overheating Tips?
on Mar 1, 2010 at 6:27:05 pm

I picked up my T2i this past Friday, and have been loving it. Will use it on a paying gig this week.

My only issue: sensor overheating, apparently also an issue with the 7D. In preliminary tests, I'm getting two 12-minute back-to-back clips in HD - and then the dreaded red thermometer. In most situations this isn't a problem, but I regularly shoot interviews of 35-40 minutes. I don't mind a brief interruption (eg, to turn the camera off and on again), but I can't afford a 10-minute cool-down pause.

Is this actually just the sensor overheating? Or is it some combo of sensor, battery and card?

And does anyone have any suggestions or strategies? I've read ideas on various forums, but I'm wondering if anyone's done any systematic problem-solving.

So how about it: Swap out cards between clips? Swap out batteries? Keep cards in a cooler? Store the camera in the fridge? Attach a radiator salvaged from a Yugo?:-)

Apologies to any of you who've encountered this post on other forums. I'm trying to cast a wide net.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
Re: T2i Overheating Tips?
on Mar 1, 2010 at 7:58:08 pm

Funny, I just read about this:

http://nofilmschool.com/dslr/#Overheating

Suggests getting a second camera body while the other cools down. I imagine you could install a fan on the body, but that might involve cutting the case and making changes (say goodbye to your warranty). The link above specifically mentions interviews. I think it's likely the internal electronics and the sensor pushing data continuously through what were initially meant for a series of still photos. That much electricity makes for heat. There are some trade-offs with DSLRs.

Jonathan Ziegler
http://www.electrictiger.com/
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Harold Eastman
on Mar 1, 2010 at 8:14:39 pm

Thanks for the link, Jonathon. Lots of good stuff on that site.

I certainly understand that DSLRs have their limitations for long-form work, but it also seems to me that the brief history of the technology so far, as it relates to video, is a story of overcoming limitations with a little creative thinking.

With that in mind, I'm going to experiment with small freezer packs attached to the back of the camera. A little silly looking, but nobody's laughing when you get that great bokeh effect in an interview with a $900 camera.

Again, thanks for the link. I'll keep this site updated on my anti-heating quest.

H.

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Mar 1, 2010 at 9:00:17 pm

I agree. DSLRs are very new and there are many unknowns. The only thing I worry about with freezer packs is condensation IN the camera (not just outside, but inside). I live in Arizona so there isn't much condensation unless it's humid (gets up to 30% in the summer at 115 degrees F), but there might be with wetter areas. I wonder what you could do with a simple aluminum heat sink to simply draw heat away from the body? If the sensor is overheating, maybe a heat-sink lens mount? Now I'm thinking fan-cooled heat sink... truly uncharted territory. ;)

Let us know how the freezer packs work out.

Jonathan Ziegler
http://www.electrictiger.com/
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Robbie Carman
on Mar 1, 2010 at 9:33:21 pm

yikes I too would be very careful with freezer packs. Condensation in electronic gear is a killer.

Are you recording 720p60? Thats the only time I've ever had the issue on 7D

Robbie Carman
----------------
Colorist and Author
Check out my new Books:
Video Made on a Mac
Apple Pro Training Series DVDSP
From Still To Motion

Return to posts index

Harold Eastman
on Mar 1, 2010 at 10:35:32 pm

I'll be careful all right! I certainly wouldn't risk it in a humid environment. But frankly, my main concern is that the pack won't bleed off enough heat. We'll see.

In terms of resolution/frame rate, I've had about the same results shooting at all three HD settings.

Will keep everyone posted.

Return to posts index

Darrell Beck
on Mar 7, 2010 at 1:52:15 am

I don't have a HDSLR yet. I plan to get a T2i as soon as I can find someone who has them in stock.

I record a lot of interviews, and I could not imagine using a HDSLR for that - mostly because of audio, but now, because of this issue. I plan to use mine for pretty b-roll only.

It will be fun to see what the near future holds for these cameras. Maybe some of the overheating is the electromagnet used to hold the mirror up? Let's just modify the cams and remove the mirror. :)

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
on Mar 8, 2010 at 4:35:52 pm

My question is, where did you find one???I've been watching out for the release and am on the notification list @ B&H and haven't heard nor seen anything yet!

Return to posts index

Dan O'Hra
on Mar 14, 2010 at 10:03:01 pm

I just got the overheating issue as well, after about 30 minutes of shooting and the camera being on... in the sun, outside, at a park. The temperature outside was only about 60 degrees.

I was shooting 720p60.

Fry's in Fremont, CA had T2i Kits in stock this weekend. It appears they are finally shipping. All of their stores showed stock, and you can order from them online, also showing stock. I just picked mine up yesterday in Fremont.

I am not sure I am loving the kit lens for video... very slow, and the focus ring is hard to control, since its so thin.

Dan

Return to posts index

Ryan Mast
on Mar 21, 2010 at 7:55:48 pm

Does the sensor overheat because of light hitting the sensor, or because of the camera electronics?

I'd like to hack the T2i to remove the mirror to use PL-mount lenses (like HotRodCamera's mod with the 7D), but I'm concerned about leaving the sensor constantly exposed to light. Is that an issue?

--
Meteor Tower Films
Video creations for music, art, & theater.
http://meteortower.com/

Return to posts index

Benjamin Patterson
on Nov 17, 2010 at 5:59:08 pm

Harold, any updates/solutions to the overheating issue yet?

Ben

Return to posts index

Harold Eastman
on Jan 21, 2011 at 11:28:47 pm

Oops, sorry I forgot to reply to your question!

Basically, the issue seems to have just gone away. I fiddled with ice packs for the first paying shoot I did, then just forgot about it on the next. And it just hasn't been a big problem. The overheating icon will sometimes show up towards the end of an interview, but I usually have to pause to change chips anyway, or for some other reason, and this gives the camera a chance to cool down a little

The only time it seemed like it was going to be a problem, I swapped batteries and that seemed to give me the extra time I needed.

I have to qualify all this by saying that I mainly shoot indoors. If I was outside, shooting in the tropics, my experience might be different.

Sorry I don't have any more hard info than that.

Best,

Harold

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]