FORUMS: list search recent posts

DSLR HDMI Video Monitors

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marshall Thompson
DSLR HDMI Video Monitors
on Sep 17, 2011 at 3:42:07 am

Hi, guys, I've been looking at the Marshall V-LCD70XP-HDMIPT vs. the Ikan VX7 7" monitors. The Ikan has higher resolution but I'm not convinced it's rugged enough for daily field use, and the Marshall is lower res but built like a tank and more expensive. What's your call? Thanks, happy shooting!

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
Re: DSLR HDMI Video Monitors
on Sep 17, 2011 at 5:19:11 am

My call was, and still is, the SmallHD DP6. 1280x720 screen and built like a tank.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Adrian Beard
on Sep 19, 2011 at 12:39:26 pm

I second the DP6 choice.
We used it for 2 weeks in Greenland in some pretty rough situations - it got rained on, dropped and still performed perfectly. We used it to compare an EX3 and a 350 to ensure they were producing similarly balanced pictures; as a crane monitor and as a 5DMk2 and 60D monitor. Different setups for each situation (picture size etc) and it performed perfectly. Menus are straightforward too.
If you have a chance, give it a try.
Cheers,
Adrian.

Cheers, Adrian.

Return to posts index

John Young
on Sep 19, 2011 at 5:10:24 pm

Just wanted to chime in with this little bit.
I used the SmallHD DP-6 last weekend for the first time. It's great and it works real well, but it is mostly for framing and focus. Levels and color are still subjective. I know that waveform and vectorscope monitors are much more expensive, but it would have helped me out quite a bit on this last shoot. Just something to think about,since I now know I will have that in my head when making future monitor purchases.
John

http://www.johnathanyoung.com

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Sep 19, 2011 at 5:36:19 pm

[John Young] " I know that waveform and vectorscope monitors are much more expensive, but it would have helped me out quite a bit on this last shoot."

One version of their firmware included a histogram. I'm not sure why they discontinued that feature. My GH2 has its own histogram so it's not a big deal for me. I did request exposure zebras at one time. I like zebras because you can still see the whole image, unlike a waveform PIP display that blocks part of it.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]