FORUMS: list search recent posts

Better Starter lens: Sigma 17-50mm or Canon 24-105mm

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jorden Mosley
Better Starter lens: Sigma 17-50mm or Canon 24-105mm
on Sep 16, 2011 at 5:51:37 pm

Here are my concerns:

If I pick the Canon lens with the smaller f/4,its supposed to make keeping moving subject in focus easier. But not ideal for low lighting.

If I pick the Sigma lens with the bigger f/2.8, its supposed to perform better in low lighting, but harder to keep a moving subject in focus.

I know the price range between the two is significant, but I've accepted that investing in lens are gonna be a lot more costly than bodies. So I better invest in a good one.

Anyone have any experience with these lenses on how difficult it is to keep them in focus and how they perform under low light?

Return to posts index

John Young
Re: Better Starter lens: Sigma 17-50mm or Canon 24-105mm
on Sep 26, 2011 at 2:41:01 pm

I can't speak to the specific lenses you listed, but if you are asking whether to get a f2.8 or an f4 lens, I say go with 2.8.

You can always buy the f2.8 lens and set the aperture to f4 if you want deeper Depth of field. But if you buy the f/4 that is the most light and shallowest Depth of Field you can get, no matter what the situation calls for.

For my money, I don't buy a lens slower than 3.5. You can always go up in f-stop but you can only go down as far as the lens will allow.

Now as far as Canon vs. Sigma and 17-50 vs. 24-105, there are many other issues and things to consider, but the answer to your f-stop question is a resounding "go with the 2.8", (in my opinion).

http://www.johnathanyoung.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]