FORUMS: list search recent posts

Has anyone compared JuicedLink DT454 with BeachTek DXA-SLA XLR

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Edwards
Has anyone compared JuicedLink DT454 with BeachTek DXA-SLA XLR
on Sep 16, 2011 at 10:56:16 am

Hi,

Just to clarify this post is asking if anyone has done or knows of a comparative test. I have read loads of stuff about each, why not to use them and other more expensive and cheaper solutions. I know I need one of these so if anyone has compared them that would be good.

I am mainly interested in a comparison of audio quality/noise floor. I am also interested in any functional differences. So far from a functional perspective I have the following.

DT454 outputs a mono signal into both L and R headphone channels (it combines L+R). It does not state in the manual for the DXA-SLA if it is had Stereo or mono monitoring. For me this is very significant. If I have a lav in L and boom in R I want to listen to each independently (i.e. by putting my hand between headphones and one ear).

DT454 has a very rudimentary level led indicator, DXA-SLA has no level indicators.

I think there are the main functional differences.

Regards,
Ben

--
Ben Edwards - Freelance Filmmaker
http://www.funkytwig.com

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
Re: Has anyone compared JuicedLink DT454 with BeachTek DXA-SLA XLR
on Sep 17, 2011 at 5:25:47 am

[Ben Edwards] "DT454 outputs a mono signal into both L and R headphone channels (it combines L+R). It does not state in the manual for the DXA-SLA if it is had Stereo or mono monitoring. For me this is very significant. If I have a lav in L and boom in R I want to listen to each independently (i.e. by putting my hand between headphones and one ear)."

Hi Ben,

While the DT454 does output a mono signal to the headphones, it is a simple matter of turning down one pot and turning up another to monitor whichever channel you wish.

I'm very happy with the audio quality of the DT454. Obviously has very clean preamps.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Ben Edwards
on Sep 26, 2011 at 11:08:56 am

"While the DT454 does output a mono signal to the headphones, it is a simple matter of turning down one pot and turning up another to monitor whichever channel you wish."

So its basically useless for monitoring lav and boom setup during interviews. Bit of a major design fault;(.

Ben

--

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Sep 27, 2011 at 3:49:45 pm

[Ben Edwards] "So its basically useless for monitoring lav and boom setup during interviews. Bit of a major design fault;(."

You can listen to both channels simultaneously, but they both be in both ears.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media

Return to posts index

Ben Edwards
on Sep 27, 2011 at 5:31:49 pm

And have no way of knowing which mic has a problem. For proper momotoring you need to be able to monitor channels independently.

--

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Sep 27, 2011 at 6:35:46 pm

[Ben Edwards] "And have no way of knowing which mic has a problem."

Sure you do; "it is a simple matter of turning down one pot and turning up another to monitor whichever channel you wish."

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media

Return to posts index

Ben Edwards
on Sep 27, 2011 at 9:23:14 pm

[Ben] "And have no way of knowing which mic has a problem."

[Jason] Sure you do; "it is a simple matter of turning down one pot and turning up another to monitor whichever channel you wish."

Me thinks that would mess up the recording or an I missing something. I am talking about monitoring individual channels during recording. Or have I missed something.

If there are problems during the recording I need to isolate the micraphone that is OK, I may decide that it is OK to continue as the OK mike is getting good sound. If I cant isolate it during recording I cant make this call.

As beatchteck are doing refurds for a very good price I have ordered one. Ultimately they are both good units but hopefully the beatchtek will allow proper stereo monitoring.

Ben

--

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Sep 28, 2011 at 12:46:39 am

[Ben Edwards] "Me thinks that would mess up the recording or an I missing something. I am talking about monitoring individual channels during recording."

There are separate pots for recording and monitoring, so you can play with the monitoring pots and it won't affect the recording. Let us know how the Beachtek works out.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media

Return to posts index

Ben Edwards
on Sep 28, 2011 at 11:22:26 am

OK, that sounds OK. Will let you know how I get on with Beatchteck.

Ben

--

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]