FORUMS: list search recent posts

What App do you prefer to chroma key with SLR videos on macs?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jay Levi
What App do you prefer to chroma key with SLR videos on macs?
on Sep 11, 2011 at 11:27:25 am

I understand that technically its better to use a video camera to capture true green screen videos, putting this aside for now and over SLR i wanted to ask what apps you guys found have the solid workflow for 5,7 D canon camera or DSLRs in general?

With a decent softbox 3 piece light set and greenscreen backdrop as well as a flexi piece (5x7) i still am concerned over workflow, quality and speed of rendering.

-FCPX chroma key is ajoke, fast but quality was literally rubbish!
-FCP Studio is nice but rendering requires converting videos, i use logic and pro tools and plug in conflicts prevent me from sharing the same drive, its a pain in the neck to reboot into another drive just to run this app, in the end worth it but still.....ehh
-iMovie is actually a nice chroma key, very limited unfortunately
-After effects surprised me yesterday, i had no idea it was so powerful, is there better?
-Premiere i liked as well.

I never tried motion, shake or any other, please do share info

cheers
Mandi

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
Re: What App do you prefer to chroma key with SLR videos on macs?
on Sep 11, 2011 at 2:18:04 pm

[Jay Levi] "I understand that technically its better to use a video camera to capture true green screen videos"

I know you wanted to skip that, but the problem is not the kind of camera you're using, but the compression and the way color information is reduced... So a DSLR is not worse than any camcorder that uses 4:2:0 ... with that having said ;) ...

I'm very happy with Keylight - an extremely powerful tool that ships free with Adobe After Effects. Very well documented in a lot of tutorials (here on the COW and all around the web)

------------------------------------------
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot." - Buster Keaton

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Sep 11, 2011 at 6:10:07 pm

It all comes down to even lighting on a good screen and properly lit subjects. It's easy to pull a key that was shot very well in any NLE. I've pulled keys using just FCP's keyer. But it's like pulling teeth when it's not well shot.

Noah

40% discount for Creative Cow users with code ccow2011 at Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Sep 13, 2011 at 6:50:47 pm

I don't do much chroma key, but I know most use after effects to pull the keys.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Owen Wexler
on Oct 15, 2011 at 11:50:13 pm

Ultra keyer in Premiere Pro and Keylight in After Effects are your best bet for built-in effects. Can't comment on others but I've heard good things about Red Giant's Primatte.

I used to use Keylight to key a show shot on greenscreen with a DV camera every week... getting decent results was like pulling teeth but I was still able to do it. If Keylight can do OK with DV greenscreen footage, I'd guess it can do well with a DSLR too but you're in for a bit of a headache trying to pull a good key... I'd advise using at least a 4:2:2 camera if you can.

Cinematographer - Editor - Motion Graphics Artist - Colorist

http://www.owenbwexler.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]