FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sigma 28-70mm f.28 or Canon 50mm 1.8?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Leyba
Sigma 28-70mm f.28 or Canon 50mm 1.8?
on Sep 5, 2011 at 3:01:53 pm

I have the T3i and I need a new lens. I only have the kit lens at the moment. Which is better? The Sigma 28-70mm f.28 or Canon 50mm 1.8? I like the zoom lens because well, it can zoom. I have a variety of options for focal lengths. The question is, is it good? Anyone have any experience with it? What I like about the prime is the fixed aperture. I can get great BOKEH with the 1.8. I know it will be good because that it's Canon.
Those two are my options because they're both affordable, and they're better than my kit lens. They both can do big apertures.

If anyone has any other suggestions within the price range, please let me know. Thank you!!

Return to posts index

Phil Balsdon
Re: Sigma 28-70mm f.28 or Canon 50mm 1.8?
on Sep 5, 2011 at 9:28:59 pm

What is going to be the most benefit to you?

The zoom feature, or a lens that's 1.3 stops faster (a little more than twice the light through) with slightly increased bokeh.

If it's the second you may want to also consider the Canon 50mm f1.4. 2 stops or four times the light and even more bokeh.

Cinematographer, Steadicam Operator, Final Cut Pro Post Production.
http://philming.com.au
http://www.steadi-onfilms.com.au/

Return to posts index

Ryan Orr
Re: Sigma 28-70mm f.28 or Canon 50mm 1.8?
on Sep 6, 2011 at 7:22:54 pm

First off, make sure you do your homework before you get either of these lenses. The sensor size of the T3i is an APH-C sized sensor, and I believe both of these lenses are for full framed sensors. So as long as you are okay with the crop factor with these lenses, then we can proceed.

I just got a Tamron 18-50mm f2.8, and I feel that between your Sigma and my Tamron, they are very near the same, so when I say my Tamron is AWESOME...I'm sure your Sigma is great too.

I also have the exact Canon "Nifty Fifty" 50mm you're talking about. It's nice, but with that crop factor (I have a Canon 60D, which has the same sized sensor of the T3i), so it acts like around a 60-70mm lens. That kind of throw may be fine with you, but having no option other then backing up, I needed to get something wider, like my Tamron. Also, that f1.8 is nice for low light, but unless you're a master at focusing (and I REALLY mean it...MASTER), your shots are going to be constantly out of focus. There may be like...2 awesome focus pullers out there that can keep a tack sharp focus at f1.8, and I'm betting you're not one of them, lol.

My suggestion is get both! The plastic version of the nifty fifty is only around $100, so why not? But if it comes right down to it, get the Sigma, you won't regret it. However, like I said before, do your homework and see what sized sensor the Sigma is for...and if it's full framed, see if you'll be fine with the crop factor.

Cheers!
Ryan~

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]