FORUMS: list search recent posts

Should I get rebel t2i?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Victor Nguyen
Should I get rebel t2i?
on Sep 4, 2011 at 4:32:14 am

Should I get the 550d/rebel t2i? My budget is 650 and I want it mostly for video. I like it because it have good depth of field, filmic look, Full HD quality, different video mode such as 60 (interlace or progressive I don't know) and 24p. I understand that in video mode I have to manually control focus for the look that I want. Should I get this or should I just get a normal camcorder?
My friend said he want to sell it for 600 dollars but Canon sold it 634 for refurbish

Just because this is in DSLR forum, please don't be bias. Thank You

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Should I get rebel t2i?
on Sep 4, 2011 at 2:33:55 pm

What do you want to use the camera for? Understand that if you absolutely cannot spend more than the $650 dollars right now that you will be limited to creating videos with NO SOUND RECORDED BY THE CAMERA. (You can add in music and other sound effects during editing!)

That's because the built-in microphone is useless - if you want good sound you have to attach an external microphone at the very least....bottom line be prepared for many other expenses related to high quality filmmaking.

Return to posts index

Daniel Hughes
on Sep 4, 2011 at 5:45:16 pm

The T2i is deliciously good for what you need it for. Except Audio. Like Steve mentioned, built in mic is abysmal, but using another mic with it is also pretty useless.

With this camera you're gonna have to completely seperate audio from video and buy also a Tascam DR-05 (~$135) or Zoom H1 (~$110) or something like that, with your boom and external mic to get decent sound where you can control the gain.

Automatic gain control in the camera with its built in mic and its line in gives you horrible hissing and harshness and just sounds terrible.

But T2i's video quality is magnificent and its very easy and fun to use as your selection of looks and lenses is virtually limitless (hire lenses on a budget!) and you can also use it to do a bit of photography, which is always fun.

Just please don't rely on this one for sound.

Daniel Hughes
Amateur Writer, Director,
Director of Photography
United Kingdom

Return to posts index

Victor Nguyen
on Sep 5, 2011 at 4:19:54 am

Yeah I know the camera's sound is useless, I was planning on using a external xlr mic ( that's what you call it right?), but wait, you're saying I should not even plug in an xlr mic to the t2i?

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Sep 5, 2011 at 7:09:11 am

[Victor Nguyen] "but wait, you're saying I should not even plug in an xlr mic to the t2i?"

You know, the T2i doesn't have XLR-inputs? Of course there are ways to directly attach even XLR-mics to the T2i, but - as Daniel wrote - even then you won't get good sound because of the bad pre-amps and the auto-gain.

You can switch off auto-gain-control and level sound manually by using the Magic Lantern firmare, but even that won't give "real good" audio... at least audio that matches the "real good" picture ;)

------------------------------------------
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot." - Buster Keaton

Return to posts index

Victor Nguyen
on Sep 5, 2011 at 1:31:27 pm

allright I think the best way is to get the h4n. is there anything else I should buy? I'll think of getting new lenses whenever I get use to the basic one it came in

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]