FORUMS: list search recent posts

Filming Long Lecture - DSLR or Camcorder?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Colton Lee
Filming Long Lecture - DSLR or Camcorder?
on Aug 31, 2011 at 6:52:14 am

Hello everyone!

I would appreciate your input on a decision I need to make... here it goes.
I film a lecture series at a university. We are needing to buy a new camera and I'm debating whether to purchase a HDSLR or a regular camcorder to film the 45 min. lectures. I would choose a DSLR in a second for the quality but i'm worried about the 12 minute filming limit.
My question is....I'm not sure if the increased DSLR quality is worth the extra editing and syncing time for the long lectures. What do you guys think? Worth it?
If I didn't go the DSLR route what kind of camcorder should I be looking at? There are lots out there with many storage types. I'm only used to SD cards in my DSLR. Any input is appreciated! Thanks!

-Colton Lee

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
Re: Filming Long Lecture - DSLR or Camcorder?
on Aug 31, 2011 at 5:55:48 pm

What is the final delivery spec for these lectures? Is it a locked off shot or is the lecturer wandering about?

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Colton Lee
on Aug 31, 2011 at 7:02:09 pm

Depending on the person and his lecture style he may move... but nothing too drastic. The shot for the most part is static. I would love to get a DSLR but just can't get over the 12 minute limit.

-Colton Lee

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Aug 31, 2011 at 7:53:53 pm

[Colton Lee] "I would love to get a DSLR but just can't get over the 12 minute limit."

My Panasonic GH2 has no record time limit. I've tested it up to 93 minutes (the 16GB card was full at that point).

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Aug 31, 2011 at 7:45:40 pm

Yeah, you don't want to film lectures or seminars with a DSLR. You'll end up chopping off needed footage and working too hard on editing.

Any HD camera will do. I shoot these with an EX-1. 2 cameras.

If you want the DSLR look, but not the short recording times, check out the Panasonic AF-100. It allows you to use the DSLR lenses, but works like a standard video camera.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Richard Cardonna
Re: af 100 b&h special bundle & price
on Sep 2, 2011 at 2:27:10 pm

I was about to buy the gh2 when i saw the af 100 in special proce
af 1oo 4500. including the 14-140 zoom lens.
I orderd it. In my next purchase I will buy the gh2 as a b cam.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/731509-REG/Panasonic_AG_AF100_AG_AF10...

Return to posts index

Ernie Geefay
on Sep 6, 2011 at 4:32:16 pm

Here's what they say:
"The camera is capable of recording video at 1920 x 1080 at either 60 interlaced fields per second or 24 frames per second, with bit rates as high as 24 Mbps for the latter. If that resolution is too high, a 720p60 mode is also available. Since the camera uses the AVCHD codec, you can keep recording until your memory card fills up, except in Europe, where you're limited to 30 minutes. If you want to record movies that are easier to edit and share, you can also record shorter clips using the Motion JPEG codec. "

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/panasonic/dmc_gh2-review/compare

I've also read other sites that say you can record long if you use motionjpeg or ACVHD lite

Ernie

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]