60D versus T2i
on Aug 22, 2011 at 2:12:00 am

which is better for shooting video

Performance versus price

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: 60D versus T2i
on Aug 22, 2011 at 2:31:44 am

The 60D by a long shot- having the swivel screen which you will cry out for if you go with the T2i. I'd be looking at the T3i as a closer comparison to the 60D.

Noah

40% discount for Creative Cow users with code ccow2011 at Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Edwin Reik
on Aug 22, 2011 at 2:40:06 am

the only reason I'm not is because if I were to go for the t3i, I'd feel stupid not throwing an extra hundred in for the 60D, while the t2i is generally about $300 cheaper than the 60D. It really all comes down to money, and by the time I'm actually ready to buy something maybe the 60D and the t3i will be a little closer to my price range. keeping in mind the expenses of new lenses, audio equipment, memory sticks, ect.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Aug 22, 2011 at 5:06:48 am

Yeah it's all about what you can swing. Though like I said- the lack of articulation on the T2i is just deadly for most kinds of shots you'd want to take with a video camera. It's worth going into a bit of credit debt to do it right.

Noah

40% discount for Creative Cow users with code ccow2011 at Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Bill Doyle
on Aug 22, 2011 at 11:08:59 am

Edwin,

I sold my T2i for the 60D and could never go back. In addition to the articulating screen, don't forget the extra ISO settings, second multi-function wheel (like the 7D), fine control over white balance, longer battery life, more rugged body and, in my limited testing, better ability to avoid overheating.

Although a stills feature, rather than video, you'll also appreciate the ability to fire an external flash without having to buy a wireless transmitter.

Bill

Return to posts index

Edwin Reik
on Aug 23, 2011 at 1:42:20 am

How do you feel about a hacked GH1?

Return to posts index

Bill Doyle
on Aug 23, 2011 at 10:41:12 am

Edwin,

I don't have any experience with the GH Series, but I know they have a loyal following. If there's any way you can try out both with some meaningful shooting tests, that would be ideal.

Bill

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Aug 23, 2011 at 3:23:04 pm

hehe- I think that's up to you as the buyer, we just work here. That said, yeah a GH1 hacked is an interesting bargain hunter's option. However, the hacking part is a bit tricky to figure out. If you want something to work out of the box, maybe sticking with one of the digital rebel cameras is the way to start out. That said, filmmaking is not the wisest world to get into if you're broke...

Noah

40% discount for Creative Cow users with code ccow2011 at Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Aug 23, 2011 at 5:25:32 pm

Yeah, the 60D is the way to go.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Danny Grizzle
on Aug 26, 2011 at 7:38:40 pm

re: "If I were to go for the t3i, I'd feel stupid not throwing an extra hundred in for the 60D."

Amen to that. I bought a T3i without researching, then scrapped that plan and bought a 60D. There is no comparison for all the reasons others in this thread have noted, plus I will add the interface on the Rebel series will simply torture you for video use. The settings you need to use constantly are buried in an interface designed for amateurs who don't know what f-stop and shutter speed are, much less ISO and white balance.

The 60D is a sweet little camera.

BTW - I bought my 60D at Sam's Club (aka Walmart). It came with an 18-135mm image stabilized kit lens for $1,100. I love this little lens, but it is slow (f/4 - f/5.6) and thus better suited to stills than video. Definitely worth owning, considering it is only $100 or so above the body only price, and it retails everywhere for about $400 -- and in my estimation, worth it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]