FORUMS: list search recent posts

Looking to buy a camera

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Edwin Reik
Looking to buy a camera
on Aug 21, 2011 at 2:39:00 am

I'm trying to decided what to buy. This would be my first camera and I'm broke. I'm interested in shooting short films. I've read through some of the other threads so I just thought I'd give you a heads up on my interests and skill level.

Thanks for the advice in advance!

Return to posts index

Danny Grizzle
Re: Looking to buy a camera
on Aug 21, 2011 at 4:29:52 am

If you consider Canon, go for the 60D instead of the T2i or T3i. I bought a T3i, but had major regrets. So much so, I bought a 60D afterwards. A lot of people will tell you the 60D is as good or better than the 7D, a camera that costs at least twice as much. They have the same sensor, and the 60D is a newer design with some real nice features like a flip out screen. The T2i and T3i, on the other hand, are from the entry-level Rebel series, and all controls and screen menus are amateur oriented, hiding things you need constantly when shooting video. For instance, the T3i will absolutely torture you to manually set white balance, and it completely lacks intermediate ISO settings that are extremely useful.

Sam's Club (yeah, Walmart) is selling the 60D for $1,100 with an EFS 18-135mm image stabilized lens. This little lens is about as good as it gets with kit lenses, though it is slow. And considering the lens alone sells for $410 at Amazon.com, you could say the 60D body only costs $700(!).

BTW - the EFS 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS UD is such a nice lens, and such a perfect match for the 60D, it is one of the few kit lenses that would be worth purchasing separately.

You may want a faster lens for shallow depth of field. You can add a 50mm f/1.8 prime for $100. This is equivalent to a short telephoto, 85mm or so, when used on a crop frame camera like the 60D. 50mm is a good focal length for interviews and shallow DOF on crop sensor cameras like the 60D. However, if you are concerned about bokeh, you need to spend $400 for the 50mm f/1.4 because it uses an 8 blade iris instead of the 5 blades present in the f/1.8. This means out of focus light blooms will be rendered as circles instead of little pentagons. The little 50 f/1.8 is built cheap from plastic, but it delivers respectable optical quality. The 50mm f/1.4 is much better build quality.

That's a start. You will need some sort of tripod, and Manfrotto is the entry point. And you will need a decent mic like the Rode Video Mic Pro, and preferably a separate audio recorder - there are dozens on the market starting around $100. I personally favor Tascam after a lot of bad luck with Zoom products. The Rode micro boom pole is an excellent match for the Video Mic Pro, but be sure to get Rode's mic cable extension. You can build a sweet little audio package for not much money -- don't neglect audio.

These things are the bare minimum. Depending on your plans, you will need other stuff. The 60D display is not adequate for use outdoors, for instance. Hoodman makes a relatively inexpensive viewfinder, around $100.

Good luck!

Return to posts index

Edwin Reik
on Aug 21, 2011 at 4:47:40 am

Thanks a lot man. So I could probably get most of the essentials for about $2,000 if I went with the 20D?

I'd still be interested in hearing others opinions on the subject.

Return to posts index

John Frey
on Aug 21, 2011 at 4:58:30 pm

Panasonic GH2 - most bang for the buck!

John D. Frey
25 Year owner/operator of two California-based production studios.

Digital West Video Productions of San Luis Obispo and Inland Images of Lake Elsinore

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Aug 21, 2011 at 11:56:32 pm

+1, I have the 60D and the GH2 and find the GH2 to be better bang for buck. Especially if video is more important than still photography. The GH2 is fine for taking stills but the ergonomics are really optimized for video work and the M43 format lenses are much better suited to video with better autofocus/etc.

Noah

40% discount for Creative Cow users with code ccow2011 at Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Edwin Reik
on Aug 22, 2011 at 12:12:29 am

Thanks a lot man. I was looking at 2Ti because they're a good deal cheaper than the 60D, and the GH2. Just remember that this is my first camera I'm buying so I don't really need the best of the best. Also, I'm broke... I talked to a few people who work at B&H (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/), and I was pointed in the direction of the 2Ti. Refurbished, with the kit lens its $640.

Would this be an awful camera for me to start with?

Keep in mind that I would almost solely be using this camera to shoot videos with. Really the cameras still photo capabilities that don't cross over into shooting video are unimportant to me.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Aug 22, 2011 at 2:32:42 am

Personally I hate that the T2i has a fixed screen in back which is terrible ergonomically. But it certainly is fine as a first DSLR video camera otherwise. It's just not the best you can do in 2011.

Noah

40% discount for Creative Cow users with code ccow2011 at Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Chip Thome
on Aug 22, 2011 at 5:14:14 pm

Find a Panasonic GH1 and apply the hack to it. The GH1 you should be able to find on Ebay for around the $300-$400 price point. If you want a cheap auto focus lens, then look for the Panasonic 14-42 to go with the GH1. Those on Ebay should be able to be bought in the low $100s range. Now you are looking at out of pocket being in the $550 range and it is going to blow the doors off the T2i or anything else in the low-mid dollar price range. This will "get you in the game" to learn and with real good quality, then from there you can decide how to proceed.

Return to posts index

Edwin Reik
on Aug 22, 2011 at 5:26:01 pm

I like where this amount of spending is going haha. I'm pretty comfortable going through the steps to apply a hack like this, but what exactly is it going to give me?

Return to posts index

Edwin Reik
on Aug 23, 2011 at 1:41:40 am

Yeah man, I'm going for the GH1 for sure. The cheapest I can find them is around $500. Is that a fair price or should I keep shopping around?

Return to posts index

Chip Thome
on Aug 23, 2011 at 7:36:33 am

If that is brand new, not a bad price. If it is used, that's a touch pricey, keep looking.

As far as what it will do, Vimeo has a group dedicated to it. There are lots of clips there showing the abilities of the camera when it's in the right hands. But even in a newb's hands, hacked ones give impressive results.

Return to posts index

John Dixon
on Aug 24, 2011 at 9:58:03 pm

What does everyone think of the new Sony cameras - the NEX 5N and the NEX 7? I'm also looking for a lower cost camera and am excited by the capabilities I've read about so far including full manual control in video mode with 1080 AVCHD with 60p/i and 24p/i. Any thoughts? I have to make my purchase order by Monday of next week.
Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]