FORUMS: list search recent posts

Choppy DSLR video playback (Unless I have multiple videos pulled up??)

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brett Pierce
Choppy DSLR video playback (Unless I have multiple videos pulled up??)
on Aug 20, 2011 at 8:30:53 am

I have had a Canon Rebel T3i that I've been using for 2-3 months now, filming live shows/concerts/band documentaries. I had a 32GB Transcend that stopped working after my first shoot with it and went with a San Disk 16GB Extreme Pro which I have had NO problems with. When I came home tonight to review the footage it played back very choppy on Quicktime (which has never happened to me before). The weird thing is I had some files stacked behind one of the other video files so when I tried to play it of course it opened up about 12 videos at once, but for some reason all the videos played fine! When I closed them all and tried to open up a single movie file it would be choppy again. Now I'm not really a tech guy when it comes to computers so I have no idea what that means. The files have always played smooth for me, on the San Disk and even when on the desktop but tonight I'm wondering what is going on. I have not tried converting them to ProRes yet which is what I do before editing in FCP7.

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Choppy DSLR video playback (Unless I have multiple videos pulled up??)
on Aug 20, 2011 at 3:08:19 pm

I wouldn't worry too much about it...large h.264 encoded files often play back choppy on my Macbook Pro until I convert them to Apple ProRes...converting to ProRes actually increases the file size but the computer is able to play back and edit the files much easier.

The other files, I am just guessing, may have been fully loaded (no buffering) so they played back smooth versus the video on file "on top" may have still been loading into the Quicktime player

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Choppy DSLR video playback (Unless I have multiple videos pulled up??)
on Aug 21, 2011 at 11:57:40 pm

Yeah I'd guess you're seeing a render when you play back many videos at once or a dynamic RT quality change. For best results, always transcode to ProRes first.

Noah

40% discount for Creative Cow users with code ccow2011 at Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]