FORUMS: list search recent posts

Panasonic GH2 Lumix Zoom Lens - Contant Aperture - Video

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Taylor
Panasonic GH2 Lumix Zoom Lens - Contant Aperture - Video
on Aug 12, 2011 at 5:30:39 pm

I'm sure this has been answered somewhere so allow me to apologize in advance.

I've been looking for a zoom lens that maintains a constant aperture while zooming during a video shoot.

I've found a couple for $2,300 and up, and the Vario 7-14mm f/4.0, as well. The former is too expensive for me, and the latter is too wide.

http://philipbloom.net/2011/01/26/which-lenses-for-your-gh1-gh2-af100-af101...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/630570-REG/Panasonic_H_F007014_Lumix_...

Does anyone know of a cheaper/longer as wide lens than can get this done on a Panasonic GH2 Lumix DSLR?

Thanks!
Matt

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
Re: Panasonic GH2 Lumix Zoom Lens - Contant Aperture - Video
on Aug 12, 2011 at 6:34:39 pm

I don't think there is such a thing as a cheap constant aperture zoom. Why do you need to zoom anyway?

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Matt Taylor
on Aug 12, 2011 at 7:33:14 pm

Jason,

Thanks for the response.

I know that the words "cheap" and "constant aperture" don't go together, but I figured that if it existed, someone here would know.

We shoot mostly video with our DSLR and there's been occasions where we want to push in on an interview subject during an answer without having to worry about the aperture adjusting.

Thanks,
Matt

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Aug 12, 2011 at 8:35:54 pm

[Matt Taylor] "I know that the words "cheap" and "constant aperture" don't go together, but I figured that if it existed, someone here would know.

We shoot mostly video with our DSLR and there's been occasions where we want to push in on an interview subject during an answer without having to worry about the aperture adjusting."

Matt,

I had that exact same dilemma when I started shooting with my GH2. I figured out how to solve the problem without buying any new lenses. I simply shoot everything in 1080p and edit in 720p. With the extra resolution you can fake a zoom in post or change up the apparent focal length by scaling some clips to 66.7% and others to 100%. It makes editing much more flexible and fun. Now, if you are required to have a 1080 final product, you're back to lens hunting. Most of my stuff ends up on the web and 720p has been more than adequate.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Aug 12, 2011 at 9:33:33 pm

Here's a sample:

Medicare Advantage

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media

Return to posts index

Malcolm Matusky
on Aug 13, 2011 at 5:25:07 am

Even a "cheap" zoom, non-constant aperture, is a "constant aperture" after f4.0 or so. On the lens specs you will see f3.5~4 or 3.5~56, well just set your aperture to the smaller setting and your lens will be "constant aperture." Add light or increase the gain setting on the camera, you can now zoom in without the scene darkening during zooming.

If you are looking for the "shallow depth of field" look, you have to use primes (fast) or expensive zooms with a "constant aperture" of f2.8. Primes will almost always give you shallower depth, but zooms are more convenient ( I use them almost always for my work)though it depends on your work as to what is best.

Malcolm
http://www.malcolmproductions.com

Return to posts index

Chip Thome
on Aug 14, 2011 at 4:04:42 am

There's nothing for M4/3 so might as well look toward legacy glass and there you will find quite a few. Tokina, Nikon, Sigma, Canon all made at least one fixed aperture zoom, which I think is more referred to as "variable focal length". The question becomes what lengths you are looking for and what aperture you want ???

Return to posts index

Matt Taylor
on Aug 15, 2011 at 4:13:05 pm

Thanks for all the help guys. I think we're going to buy an adapter and go with a Canon EF lens.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

John Doggett-Williams
on Dec 20, 2011 at 5:29:16 am

How did you end up Matt? With the Canon lenses and are you happy with the result?

John Doggett-Williams
http://www.fineeyeproductions.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]