FORUMS: list search recent posts

DISAPPOINTED: My Nikon D7000 looks too much like video and not film. What settings...???

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jake Lewis
DISAPPOINTED: My Nikon D7000 looks too much like video and not film. What settings...???
on Aug 12, 2011 at 9:08:08 am

Please help. I recently upgraded from the D90 to the D7000 after seeing demos of the D7000's HD capability on youtube. I loved my D90 for HD but knew it's limitations and problems. I just shot for the first time with my D7000 tonight and I bring it home to find that it looks like crisp, clear video! I immediately checked the 'movie settings' which are: 1920X1080; 24 fps; high quality. I tried switching it to 30fps and that looked like video more so in the live view.

The 24fps settings in live view look fine. It is when I uploaded it to FCP to edit that I could see it looked like video more than I would prefer. I almost want to go back to my D90 if there is not some way to fix this. I am partial to a denigrated quality of HD (the D90) if it retains the films look, rather than an ultra crisp video look (The D7000)....?

I ask if anyone knows specific settings I might need to check or fix on the camera. I use the cam mainly for video.

NOTE: I did see some youtube D7000 demos that had this yucky video look I am seeing now, which I thought maybe was just a result of the 30 fps setting because then I saw D7000 demos that looked amazing and not that video look.

Any suggestions or opinions please??? Thank you in adavance!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: DISAPPOINTED: My Nikon D7000 looks too much like video and not film. What settings...???
on Aug 14, 2011 at 6:40:47 pm

Post some examples- that's a very subjective issue.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Kunal Deshpande
Re: DISAPPOINTED: My Nikon D7000 looks too much like video and not film. What settings...???
on Sep 24, 2011 at 4:34:12 am

Hi Jake,
I think the problem is more to do with the metering on the D7000. I used to face the same problem as you are, and then when I started underexposing the image by 1 stop, they seemed to be fine. I am still shooting a Documentary with the camera, and in some places where my anticipation of exposure goes for a toss, the image atarts looking like refined video. Rather than the crisp HD Film-like quality.
Also, the lenses that you are using will make a lot of difference to the way your footage looks. Using prime lenses to get the film look seems like the best option for now.

Kunal

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]