FORUMS: list search recent posts

Underwater housing for Canon 7D

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher Donnelly
Underwater housing for Canon 7D
on Aug 10, 2011 at 5:29:35 pm

Hello all!

This is an inquiry I may get flak for, but here goes. I recently needed an underwater housing for a pool scene for a 48 Hour Film Project. We had a work around, but I'm looking into better solutions for the future.

(Note: I posted this in the Canon EOS DSLR Forum to yield no responses. I may be answering my own questions when speaking of this subject)

Obviously, I'd love to buy an actual housing, but for the time being, and for nothing too deep in the water, I'm on a budget of $200 or less. I am curious about the DiCAPac Bag WP-S10 (similar to the EWA Marine bags), if anyone here has used them and what their thoughts may be?

Would I be better off buying a cheap waterproof (up to 10ft) handycam or rolling with my 7D and the DiCAPac bag (up to 16ft)? Is it worth risking $1600 in an $80 bag, or should I get the handycam that may be a degradation in quality, but is made to go underwater?

-------------
Chris Donnelly

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
Re: Underwater housing for Canon 7D
on Aug 10, 2011 at 7:31:46 pm

I don't know anything about underwater housings, but there several on *bay for pretty cheap to quite expensive:

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=canon+7d+unde...

I'm not sure if the cheapies (under 100 bucks) are the same as the bag you're talking about, but there are a few.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Christopher Donnelly
Re: Underwater housing for Canon 7D
on Aug 11, 2011 at 2:56:23 am

Yeah, the "cheapies" under $100 are what I'm talking about. The one specifically on BH is the DiCAPac Wp-S10...very very similar to the EWA Marine brand, a brand I'm familiar with, but a fraction of the cost. Brand new from BH it's under $90.

I'm just looking to see if anyone has experience with it...good or bad that can say a direct "yes" or a direct "no." I don't foresee myself diving anytime soon, so depth isn't important. If I go less than 10 feet that's pushing it. I'm looking for something I could use for quick water surface shots that show some underwater footage, something I can take on my honeymoon, etc.

Wasn't sure if I should go for high quality footage from a high quality camera, in an inexpensive housing, or rock a water proof 1080p30, whose footage just looks "okay." The handycam is something I could use down the line to as a regular home video camera as well...

Just looking for good advice on this.

-------------
Chris Donnelly

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]